Thread: RAF Detling Air-raid Aug 1940

Thanks

Default RAF Detling Air-raid Aug 1940

Does anybody have any details on the air-raid on RAF Detling in Aug 1940 by (supposedly) a single, or some, Ju-87s.
    My interest is mainly in the casualties. A Met Forecaster was "severely injured". I am tracking his career. If he was 'severely injured' then - presumably - he spent some time in hospital, and then recuperation. The next we know of him is that he is at Atcham in 1942. His son has applied to RAF Disclosures for his Father's Service Record. We will await developments from that end, but - in the interim - does anybody have any futher information on the raid?
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

There was an attack on the 13th

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0025.html

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Tuesday 13th August 1940 "Adler Tag"

As a result of a well-timed free chase by Gotthardt Handrick's JG 26 Messerschmitts, better fortune attended the other half of Kesselring's main thrust by Hauptmann von Brauchitsch's IV.(Stuka)/LG 1, whose forty Ju 87s made for the airfield at Detling, near Maidstone, Kent. At 17.16 hours the dive-bombers arched into their attacks and struck the airfield with a veritable storm of well-aimed bombs just as the station personnel were flocking to their canteens for their evening meal. Three messes were demolished, as were all the hangars; the operations block suffered a direct hit which killed the station commander, Group Captain Edward Davis. Sixty-seven Service and civilian personnel were killed; runways, tarmac taxyways and hardstandings were cratered, and twenty-two aircraft were totally destroyed.

Yet, catasrophic though the raid on Detling might have seemed - it was, however, soon repaired - it was not part of Dowding's Command, and its damage in no way affected the air defence of his No. 11 Group.

See:
    Battle Over Britain
    Mason,Francis K.
    Bourne End:Aston Pubs.,1990
    p.190

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th February 2010 at 12:01.

Thanks

Hi Col,

You are correct that the raid did not reduce the effectiveness of Fighter Command to repluse any invasion.

However in terms of reducing the force against the German invasion barges it had a large effect by eliminating air assets that were being used to bomb them in the embarkation ports and that would be used against them on the crossing and when landing troops on the beaches.

Not quite the waste of time that some historians peg it with.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross/Col/Amrit,
    Mni tks for that valuable info.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter

Thanks

hello

Peter, such a pity that you didn't post your query two days earlier ! I was in Kew on Tuesday, and mind you, Detling's ORB was on my list. I copied May and June 1940 from AIR 28/192. I would have copied the relevant page for you...

I was looking for details about the Swordfish operations carried out from Detling in May 1940 (No. 825 Squadron F.A.A.), about which I've asked questions on the board a few weeks ago.

It's possible that the appendix may contain pictures. I've only seen AIR 28/193 which had pictures of ships under survey / attack, until november 1939. The following files may have pictures for 1940 may be ?

Too bad.

Joss

Thanks

The Kent History Forum has some references to this including an ARP report see
    http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=324.0

Thanks

Joss/Pete,
    Mni tks the additional info. Much appreciated.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter