Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 421228 - Unaccounted airmen - 28-12-1942

Thanks

Hello Al,

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    I have tried to get at the 2 AGS ORB twice in the last two months and on both occasions I have been unable to view it as it on loan to a government department. Next time I might actually ask which department and when they are going to give it back and why can they not use a digital camera like the rest of us.
    I had the same problem with the ORB of No. 4 Radio School (AIR 29/724), in use by government from at least September (my first attempt) to December 2010 (my second). I had e-mailed before my second visit in order to know if I could have a look at it, etc... and the staff at Kew very kindly answered that the MoD had said they had finished with it, but it was going to take a while, and there were the winter holidays... I was eventually able to have a look at it this week.

Indeed, all together, from the request on the computer until I returned it, must have be about two hours (I didn't go to the reading room immediatly, I "stocked" a few originals before leaving the microfilms rooms. I had this original in my hands for about 15 minutes, having two losses to check and picture.

Joss

Thanks

Pavel,

Re T9029's crew, they were:

Pilot Sgt Ken Oie (RCAF)
    Nav P/O R B Gibbs (injured)
    Wop/AG Sgt McWhirter
    Wop/AG Sgt RM Gullage (injured)

Oie was commissioned in 1943 and was later posted to 518 Sqn at Stornoway. His first operational sortie on 15 September was a routine met reconnaissance to a point about 700 miles southwest from Tiree in Halifax DG233. An engine failed at the furthest point and he returned to base on three engines - a not unusual occurance with the Met Squadrons' Halifaxes.

Source: Peter Rackliff, co-author of "Even the birds were walking".

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 18th February 2010 at 22:51.

Thanks

Brian,
    Hudson serial was "V"9029 - a/c not repaired and SOC 1-2-1943.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

What are the circumstances behind the death of the following? There seems to be no aircraft loss tied to them. No information provided in Norman Franks "First in the Indian Skies" either

Rank Name & Number Death Unit Country Cemetary / Memorial
    Sergeant Humphrey Rex FORSTER (1261889) 1942-12-28 31 Sqdn Singapore Singapore Memorial
    Sergeant John HENRY (1119246) 1942-12-28 31 Sqdn Singapore Singapore Memorial
    Sergeant David Horne SCOTT (1066843) 1942-12-28 31 Sqdn Singapore Singapore Memorial

Thanks

Hi Jagan

Nothing in the ORB.

Malcolm