Thread: Bomber Losses, Ramrod 1319, 7 Oct 1944

Thanks

Default Bomber Losses, Ramrod 1319, 7 Oct 1944

Hi guys

On 7 October 1944, 251 Halifaxes, 90 Lancasters, 10 Mosquitos of 3, 4 & 8 Groups were sent to Kleve, and 340 Lancasters & 10 Mosquitos of 1, 3 and 8 Groups were sent to Emmerich, in Ramrod 1319.

Two Halifaxes were lost at Kleve, and three Lancasters at Emmerich (T.O.T. 14:00-14:30).

Could someone identify these aircraft, please?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default Ramrod 1319

Hi Steve,

From Chorley's book :

lost on Emmerich mission : Lancaster I from 166 Sqn (AS-Z/PD239), Lancaster III from 460 Sqn (AR-U/PB407) and Lancaster III from 514 Sqn (JI-G˛/LM735);

lost on Kleve mission : Halifax III from 51 Sqn (MH-M/NP933) and Halifax III from 78 Sqn (EY-K/LV796).

You enjoy now the sunny Australia ?

Regis

Thanks

Hello again,

still from BCL volume 5 (1944) : Emmerich losses :
    166 Squadron, Lancaster I PD239 AS-Z, F/L G.U. FULFORD, Sgt D.M. HUGUES, Sgt J.W. BARNDEN, Sgt W.F.W. JONES, Sgt R.E.T. BURNS, Sgt W. SKEA and Sgt J.P. Van Der Linde. T/O 11h55 from Kirmington. All are buried in Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.

460 Squadron, Lancaster III PB254 AR-K, took off 12h13 from Binbrook, hit by incendiaries over the target, causing a serious fire in the WOp' compartment. Three baled out but F/Sgt K.G. POTTER RAAF did not survive. buried in Rheinberg. Later F/O V.K. GRATTON RAAF crash-landed at Hawkinge. Sgt D.L. AMOS and W/O N.E. NEWTON RAAF PoW.

460 Squadron, Lancaster III PB407 AR-U, F/L E.R. GREENACRE RAAF, P/O G. CAIRNS, F/O C.E. AGG RAAF, F/O KE. HARRIS RAAF, F/O R.C. COVENY RAAF, P/O J. McKEAN RAAF, F/Sgt H.W. MARCHANT RAAF. T/O 11h54 from Binbrook, all were observed to bale out ar around 14h20 some 10 to 12 km SW of the target area. Assuming the observation to be accurate, this would place the crew S of the Rhine and just to the N of Kleve, which was also under attack. All PoWs.

514 Squadron, Lancaster III LM735 JI-G2, F/Sgt T. GILCHRIST, Sgt H.R. KNIGHT, W/O G.J. MANLOW, Sgt T. FENWICK, F/Sgt S. McLEAN RAAF, Sgt B.L. ROBERTS and Sgt P.J. SHEEHY. T/O 12h25 from Waterbeach. The first six named lie in Reischwald, while SHEEHY is commemorated on Runnymede.

Kleve losses :
    51 Squadron, Halifax III NP933 MH-M, FO C.T. COLLYER, Sgt J. GARTLAND, F/O A.G. BRANDON, Sgt W. POLLITT, Sgt E.P.A. STANSFIELD, Sgt L.A POPLE and P/O D.T. DELANEY. T/O 11h32 from Sanith. believed to have crashed onto the ancient Schwanenburg at Kleve. Buried in Reichswald, apart DELANEY who was captured.

78 Squadron, Halifax III LV796 EY-K, P/O J.R. GILLESPIE, Sgt E.P. KNIGHT, F/O F. HILL, F/O B.E. TURNBULL, Sgt C.E. MILLER, Sgt G. SHARROCKS and Sgt H.R. PORTER. T/O 11h32 from Breighton. All buried in Reichswald. Apart from F/O HILL, all are commemorated here on special memorials as the precise location of their graves is unknown. For this reason, their names are also perpetuated by the Runnymede Memorial.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 12th February 2010 at 09:31.

Thanks

Thanks Regis and Joss; most appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to type this up for me.

Regis, it's hot, sunny and humid, over 30c every day! Would you like a bit of it?! I'll swap you for a bit of what you have! :-)

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks

Hello,

Régis and I are neighbours, so to speak ! Especially when looking from your part of the world.

Here it's been snowing these last days, and they again had problems with the Channel Tunnel...

Strange coincidence, between your question and this very recent thread :

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7629

When I typed the details earlier this morning, I was thinking "I recently came accross this PB407 serial number somewhere..."

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss
    Funny coincidence indeed!
    Regards
    Steve