Thread: 12.8.41 attack on BIELEFELD or BIELEFIELD

Thanks

Default 12.8.41 attack on BIELEFELD or BIELEFIELD

I have a reference to an attack undertaken by an unknown squadron on the 12th August 1941 to Bielefield or possibly Bielefeld. Searches on this dont appear to assist in identifying any more detail. The Operation took just over 6 Hours so indicates a sucessful sortie.

Bomber Command War Diary by Martin Middlebrook records a raid to Cologne power station.

Can any member assist me with any assistance. Thanks in advance !

Thanks

Hello Colin

It was actually during the night 12th/13th August 1941. If you go to page 192 of "The Bomber Command War Diaries" (at least for my Penguin edition), minor operations :
    14 Wellingtons to Le Havre, 1 Stirling to Bielefeld. No losses.

Not many units were flying the Stirling at the time. Either 7 or XV Squadron. I haven't seen this lonely attacker mentioned in Bowyer's "The Stirling Story".

Joss

Thanks

Joss.

Rather glowing red in the face ! I should have seen that but must confess missed it. A single Stirling raid appears a bit strange, I will see if your suggested Squadrons resolves it for me.

Thanks Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss.

You were 100% correct this raid by the single Stirling was by 15 Squadron. You have as normal been of great help.

Thank you.