Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/O Robert Inwood DFC - 130468 - Died 18/5/43 -3 Sqd

Thanks

Default F/O Robert Inwood DFC - 130468 - Died 18/5/43 -3 Sqd

Hi everyone,

Could someone kindly give me any information on the death of the airman in question and the circumstances of his gaining the DFC. Any information will be gratefully received and appreciated.

Thanks

Steve.

Thanks

Steve, Citation for DFC:
    Air Ministry, 4th December, 1942.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy: —
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Pilot Officer Robert INWOOD (130468) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 3 Squadron.
    This officer has completed numerous sorties at night, including many intruder operations over enemy occupied territory. In June, 1942, during an intruder sortie over an airfield in Holland, he destroyed an enemy aircraft. On another occasion in July, he destroyed a Junkers 88. Although his own aircraft was damaged in the combat, Pilot Officer Inwood flew it safely back to base. He has always displayed great courage and determination.
    Third Supplement (LG 35809 dated 4 Dec 41) to LG dated 1 Dec 42
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

G'Day Steve,

INWOOD, Robert - Flying Officer - RAF No. 130468

Robert Inwood, from Abertillery, Monmouthshire, in Wales, joined 3 Squadron as a Sgt early in 1942, flying Hurricane IIcs on night intruder sorties over Western Europe. Subsequently commissioned on 27 August, he was awarded a DFC, gazetted on 4 December 1942; he then flew Typhoons following the squadron's re-equipment with these aircraft in February 1943, during which month he was promoted to Flg Off. On 18 May 1943 his Typhoon Ib, DN598, QO-Z, was one of five shot down in the Poix area during an engagement with Bf109s of JG 27 during a 'Ramrod' mission to Cayeux, and he was killed, aged 21. He is recorded on the Runnymede Memorial.

!942.

2/3 June - Do217 - Hurricane IIc BD867* - Eindhoven - 3 Sqn.
    25 June - Ju88 damaged - Hurricane IIc - ? - 3 Sqn.
    15/16 July - e/a damaged - Hurricane IIc - Eindhoven - 3 Sqn.
    25/26 July - Ju88 damaged - Hurricane IIc - Haamstede - 3 Sqn.
    27/28 July - Ju88 - Hurricane IIC - Nordwijk - 3 Sqn.
    27/28 July - He111 probable - Hurricane IIc - Nordwijk - 3 Sqn.

* His Hurricane was blistered and scorched by fire from his victim.

Total: 2 destroyed, 1 probable, 3 damaged.

See:
    Those Other Eagles.
    Shores,Christopher.
    London:Grub Street,2004
    pp.294-5

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th February 2010 at 12:00.

Thanks

Steve/Col,
    Combat reports state 2/3rd June, twin engined single tail fin a/c, so unlikely a DO 217 as in book, and 25/26th July, West of Walcheren not Haamstede.

Thanks

Steve,

The following losses are known in the general area.

June 2-3 Night (1942)

During the day a Focke-Wulf Fw190 of II./JG 26 and a Blohm und voss BV138 of Kustenfliegergruppe 406 were lost. Canterbury was attacked at night when a total of five aircraft failed to return, two further Junkers Ju88s of II./KG 77 and a Dornier Do217 were shot down off the Belgian Coast.

See:
    The Blitz Then and Now
    Ramsey,Winston G. (ed.)
    London:Battle of Britain Prints Int. Ltd.,1990
    p.141

Col.

Thanks

Hi Col, Alan and Terry,

Thanks very much for the relevant information concerning F/O Inwood. His name as you can gather is commemorated on our local Memorial to the dead of World War I and II. He is stated as coming from Abertillery but his name is on the Nantyglo and Blaina War Memorial as mentioned above.

I can only assume and they say not to assume too much that his home was in Blaina or Nantyglo when he died on 18/5/43. This may not be significant to my query but I thought I would share it with everyone as an extra snippet of information. But then I just might be babbling on too much. I must get out more.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Thanks

Hello,

I've made some researches into the losses of that Typhoon raid on 18th May 1943. Actually the target was not Cayeux, but Poix-Croirault airfield, indeed the home of the First Gruppe of JG 27, which had returned from North Africa.

I'd say that 4 Typhoons were lost to 1. and 3. staffeln pilots of JG 27, the fifth may have been shot down by Flak (or a combination of both). German pilots claims 7 Typhoons shot down that day (see Tony Wood's claim list).

The Squadron was led by S/L De Soomer (Belgian), the other pilots who returned from F/L Collins and Sgt Tidy.

They were shot down on the return leg, after attacking Poix-Croirault.

Lost pilots were Sgt Whithall (DN246 QO-A), F/O Gill (R8835 QO-M), Sgt Bailey (R8879 QO-D), P/O Inwood (EJ914 QO-Z) and F/O Hall (EK217 QO-N), serials and codes taken from the ORB (AIR 27/33). Errol Martyn's in "For your Tomorrow" gives Hall's Typhoon as R8879 QO-N. Different serial but same individual letter.

The Squadron ORB says the enemy fighters were Fw-190 (they were Bf-109s !).

Gill crashed in Huncheneville, and is buried in Abbeville. This location makes him the better match for Uffz Werner Döring's claim. Hall (a New-Zealander) crashed in Métigny, and is buried in Poix-de-Picardie.

Do you have other details about P/O Inwood (a portrait ?).

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Thanks for the added information about F/O Inwood but I'm sorry to say I haven't any other information on this officer than the replies given here.

I found his name in a list of names on the local Memorial in a book relating to our area and as I couldn't find any information myself I of course came to the forum for help with this matter. But I will try and get as much information as I can from my local library if there is any material available. And if I find anything I will get back to you.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taff_S View Post
    Hi everyone,

Could someone kindly give me any information on the death of the airman in question and the circumstances of his gaining the DFC. Any information will be gratefully received and appreciated.

Thanks

Steve.
    Hello Steve,

I just wanted to say that I will shortly be able to provide you with some photographs of F/O Robert Inwood.

The reason that I am able to do this is because I was recenty introduced to my friends father who served in the Navy during WWII.

We went through his photo album and he showed me some photographs of his friend Pilot Officer Inwood, also a very modest letter he had received from him saying he had been awarded the DFC.

Unfortunately he also had a small paper cutting showing that he had been recorded as missing in action.

Since that time he has always wondered what had happened to him so I Googled his name and found your forum and the answers that have been provided thanks to your requests.

This week I hope to show him and his wife the printout of all the information provided on this forum.

My friends father has a good quality photo of him and two other pilots, also a photo of him standing next to his Hurricane

I have already asked permission to take copies of the photos and he and his wife are very happy for that to go ahead.

This week I intend to try to take a picture of the photos for quick results but eventually I would like to scan then for best quality.

I am new to RAF Commands so please can you advise how I can get these images to you

Best regards,

John

Thanks

Default Photos

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Hello Steve,

I just wanted to say that I will shortly be able to provide you with some photographs of F/O Robert Inwood.

The reason that I am able to do this is because I was recenty introduced to my friends father who served in the Navy during WWII.

We went through his photo album and he showed me some photographs of his friend Pilot Officer Inwood, also a very modest letter he had received from him saying he had been awarded the DFC.

Unfortunately he also had a small paper cutting showing that he had been recorded as missing in action.

Since that time he has always wondered what had happened to him so I Googled his name and found your forum and the answers that have been provided thanks to your requests.

This week I hope to show him and his wife the printout of all the information provided on this forum.

My friends father has a good quality photo of him and two other pilots, also a photo of him standing next to his Hurricane

I have already asked permission to take copies of the photos and he and his wife are very happy for that to go ahead.

This week I intend to try to take a picture of the photos for quick results but eventually I would like to scan then for best quality.

I am new to RAF Commands so please can you advise how I can get these images to you

Best regards,

John
    Hello John, I wonder if it would be possible for me to see/have some photos of Robert Inwood? I've been looking for information about him for a firend of his in Dudley - Jim- I'm sure he would love to see them
    thank you
    Mary Wheeler