Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The loss of Lockheed Hudson T9409

Thanks

Default The loss of Lockheed Hudson T9409

Hi

Does anyone have crew and if possible the Aircraft code letter details for the above aircraft.

It was lost on 14 Oct 1941 and was on the strength of 6(Coastal) OTU at the time.
    I have the details of one crew member P/O J E Robson (#63823). I would like to know the others if possible please.

Many thanks for any help you can give me on this accident.

Cheers

Al

Thanks

Details again from Rich Allenby's site, http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/north/t9409.html

Hudson near Newby, near Stokesley.

This Hudson stalled and then crashed on the 14th of October 1941 at 21.40hrs killing all five airmen on board. The machine burnt out at the site (Cat E2/FA damage reported), near Newham Hall, Nunthorpe. The aircraft had been purchased by the British Purchasing Commission direct from Lockheed-Vega at Burbank, California without contract. After delivery to the UK in May 1941 and acceptance at MU it was delivered to 6(C)OTU on an as yet unspecified date.

Instructor / Pilot - F/O William H Dimmock RAF (42816), aged 26, of ? Buried Thornaby on Tees Cemetery, Yorkshire.

Student Pilot - P/O I R Fyfe RAFVR (68174), aged 19, of Llandaff, Glamorgan. Buried Springbank Cemetery, Aberdeen.

Student Nav - P/O James E Robson RAFVR (63823), aged 24, of Lewes, Sussex. Buried Blyth, Northumberland.

Student WOp / AG - P/O Kenneth R Swann RAFVR (104374), aged 26, of Holt, Norfolk. Buried Holt, Norfolk.

Student WOp / AG - Sgt Alfred J Beard RAFVR (1281661), aged 21, of East Ham, London. Buried Leytonstone RC Cemetery, Essex.

Martyn

Thanks

Hi Al,

A-B RAF serial states:

6 OTU Mk III Stalled on night approach and crashed, Newham Hall, Nunthorpe, Yorks., 14.10.41, destroyed by fire.

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 15th February 2010 at 20:31. Reason: deleted doubling info
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel & Martyn

You guys know your stuff.

Thank you very much for these important details, they fill in the blanks.

Cheers

Al

Thanks

Default The hudson

Ali

Was browsing through Amazons book lists and found the following:
    The Maw-searching for the Hudson Bomber by J R Stevens. Dont know if it will help or whether its any good at all but might be worth looking at the page see if you recognise any names. They have second hand copies from 7 if you are interested but dont want to pay for a new hardback copy just in case.

Dee

Thanks

For what little it adds, the burial of F/O Dimmock would seem to indicate his family were from the Thornaby on Tees area.

Thanks

Dee/Ali,

Don't waste your money if you just want to search for the names. The book is largely a collection of personal stories about learning to fly and operating the Hudson in various theatres.

This particular incident is not included in the text, nor are the names of those who died.

Brian

Thanks

Hi folks

Just want to say a big thank you to all of the kind people who helped me on the quest on this loss. I have even looked at the pictures of the the area on the web and now have seen the area where this accident took place.

Best wishes

Al

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just out of interest concerning P/O Fyfe. Now it says he lived in Llandaff - which is part of Cardiff - but was buried in Aberdeen. Just would like to know your thoughts on this because do I include him in my list of Welsh airmen/women lost during World War II or was his family Scottish but lived in Llandaff? It is an interesting question and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

TIA

Steve.

Thanks

Kevin, with the greatest of respect, can I ask, how do you know that Dimmocks family was from the Thornaby area please ? CWGC has no information to states where is parents were living.

Many Thornaby-related losses from which their families did not claim their loved ones for burial in their home churchyards or cemeteries were buried at Thornaby in the military plot in Acklam Road cemetery but this does not mean these aircrew had families in the Middlesbrough area.

regards Rich Allenby