Thread: Bristol Blenheim L8668

Thanks

Default Bristol Blenheim L8668

Hi

Does anyone have the book on the Blenheim in their files or any other info source on this type of Aircraft where the details of its loss could be found?

I am trying to find out where, when, how this aircraft crashed, the pilot was P/O R B Weber (#89372) and he was flying solo at the time. I don't know to what unit the aircraft was allocated at the time and would like to try and get some history on it if possible.

The AHB will give me no more details than this airman was lost in this aircraft on 30 Mar 1941 in this aircraft.

Since the FOI Act the information they will provide you with has been more controlled and become very limited indeed. Even though you are asking questions about a dead person and this isn't covered by the Act, (I am lead believe that is the case?). They don't like giving out details any more. I have been provided with the details on over 20 local airmen Killed in WW2 by them in the past (before FOI ACT) and these included the Accident card, now they just refeer to the Act and say look in the N/A. So, sadly, don't expect too much help from there now folks.

Any GEN on the above would be of great interest to me as I would like to know more about this Blenheim and P/O Weber's loss.

Thanks

Al

Thanks

Hi Al,

from A-B Raf serials:

L8668 Mk I 2 OTU Hit house while low flying, Rolston, 2 miles S of Hornsea, Yorks, 30.3.41, destroyed by fire.

Looks like another case when the pilot was not able to recognize himself how dangerous the low flying can be...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking - unauthorised low flying, sadly:

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/yorkshire/york41/l8668.html

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Al
    From "Blenheim" by Graham Warner-L8668 of 2(C)OTU,hit a house whilst low flying and was destroyed by fire at Rolston,nr Hornsea,Yorkshire. The solo pilot P/O R Weber was killed
    The given date is 30/03/41
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Details from Rich Allenby's website, http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/yorkshire/york41/l8668.html

Blenheim L8668 at Rolston, Hornsea.

On the 30th of March 1941 the pilot of this aircraft was flying in the Hornsea area when the aircraft clipped trees in Rolston, just south of Hornsea, the aircraft then struck farm buildings at V Coney Garth Farm and exploded killing the pilot instantly. The investigation that resulted found the pilot had been low flying some friends who owned a tennis court where he had regularly played.

Pilot - P/O Robert B Weber RAFVR (89372), aged 21, of St. Andrews, Bristol. Cremated Hull, Yorkshire.

Robert Weber was commissioned on 21st December 1940 (with seniority back dated to 24th November 1940).

Martyn

Thanks

Hi

I must give my thanks to all of you for the quick response to my posting on this airman and his loss.

The details are of great interest and maybe I should use this excellent forum more than I have been doing of late. maybe I could help soemone in return. I will start to visit regularly again.

Again thanks guys you are the salt of the earth.

cheers

Al