Thread: One for Henk

Thanks

Default One for Henk

Hi Henk

I'm still operating off my laptop without all my saved e-mail addresses (the ship with my furniture and computer finally docked today, but it'll still be two more weeks for customs/quarantine clearance and delivery...), so contacting you via RAF Commands instead.

Looking at the RAF Lympne ORB for 30 October 1944 today, I came across the following entry that I thought might interest you:

"...Ramrod [1352. Spitfire DN-K crashed F/O] Wilson pilot, slightly injured."

The section in square brackets has been added later by hand, via a "^" sign between the words Ramrod and Wilson. DN is the unit code for 416 (RCAF) Squadron, which was not based at Lympne at the time. The station was home to 41, 350 and 610 Squadrons instead, and there is no explanation of why Wilson was at Lympne.

I should add that I think that Ramrod 1352 is a red herring. 41, 350 and 610 Squadrons were involved in Ramrod 1352 to Wesseling on this date, but as far as I can see, 416 Squadron was not. It's a bit confusing how it's written, but I believe Wilson's accident is completely unrelated to Ramrod 1352.

If you could drop me a line at brew AT clients DOT ch, I will e-mail you the page.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

Hope you don't mind if I add something to your note to Henk.

I believe 610 used DW code, which could be confused with DN if not written clearly.
    Also I have locate the following on the Spitfire Production list which seems to fit the bill.

RB140 - F21 fin and rud install. First prod XIVE 39MU 20-12-43 616S 1-2-44 DeH 'Gem' mods 6-4-44 610S Stalled on landing and wing hit ground overturned Lympne CE 30-10-44

Martyn

Thanks

Hey, good catch Martyn, you're right!

It's definitely DN-K that's handwritten, but it's clearly an error as, on checking, the 610 Squadron ORB F540 mentions the accident.

Sorry, Henk, I went after the "DN-K" and thought it was 416 Squadron without checking further. Nonetheless, if you would like digital images of the 610 Squadron and Lympne ORBs for this date, please mail me.

Good catch Martyn!

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Gents

There is a photograph of the crashed Spitfire RB140 in 2nd TAF, vol 2, p298. Caption refers to 'return from air test'

Regards

DaveW

Thanks

Thanks Martyn for the job done; same was in my files.
    Steve: will send PM.
    Regards,
    Henk.