Thread: MacRoberts Reply Stirling N6086

Thanks

Default MacRoberts Reply Stirling N6086

I am looking into the sorties undertaken by this famous Stirling which was presented to 15 Squadron on the 10/10/41 and badly damaged just three months later in January 1942.

Internet searches show that it flew just 12 sorties has anyone previously undertaken any work on this airframe at all? I would like to be able to identify the ops if possible.

As always thanks to those who read my request.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

I have 15 Sqn's history and looking through it they took the Stirling to Nuremberg on its first trip on the 12/10/41, it then says the crew carried out attacks during the rest of October, November on Germany, Czechoslovakia and France. On the 18/12/41 they carried out an attack on Brest where Gnisenau and Sharnhorst were docked. The rest I think you know.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

John.

Thank you for that, looks like I need to consult the orb's to identify these sorties, this is an interesting airframe for me.

Thanks

Default The Stirling Story

Hi Colin

Its got details and pictures in the Bowyer book.... At the back there is also an airframe history. Doesnt mention the ops in that back bit but does tell what happened to it and who made it... Did you realise there were 2 MacRoberts reply's!

If you are interested in Stirlings then the Bowyer book is a very good buy. Its an underrated a/c!

Dee

Thanks

Default MacRobert's Reply

Hello,

Here you find a link to the second MacRobert's Reply W7531, included some details of N6086.

http://www.macrobertsreply.com/

I am a good friend of the Sgt Maycock (W7531) family. Traced in 1999 his sister, Mrs. Irene Davison, who was invited to Denmark to see her brothers grave for the first time in her life.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Default Thankyou

Finn

I read about you doing that. I think it was a fab thing to do so thanks for that. I shall be looking at that link too!

Dee

Thanks

Thanks for the added information: Its the first MacRobert Reply airframe that centres around my research, fantastic that the name lives on. Great website, will get a copy of the recommended book.

Thanks

Default MacRoberts Reply

There is a quote about it in the 3 Group book I am reading at the moment. Will bring it to work and type up the quote though I am sure there is more information on the website than I could ever quote... Yes its great that the name is being recorded in these historical book. By the way the 3 Group book from what little I have read is very good. Its in narrative form but there are some good little asides about some of the people. An example is a pilot who was captured by the Germans was said to be "going on an extended holiday in Germany" and why a pilot got the nickname Whippy (and its not naughty!).
    Dee

Thanks

Currently a Panavia Tornado carries "MacRoberts Reply".

Thanks

As can be seen from the website posted above, IIRC, there were also MacRobert Hurricanes named after the lost sons.