Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WAAF Casualties

Thanks

Default WAAF Casualties

I have just received two WAAF grave photographs from Paddington Cemetery, Mill Hill, City of Westminster. Both died 1st July 1944.

BURRISS, Dora, L. Acw. No. 2004274
    SAYERS, Joan Gwendoline L. Acw. No.2133472

Would appreciate information on any significant incident on the date of their deaths

Regards

Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony
    Both your ladies have their deaths registered at Hendon,Middlesex.At the time parts of London were administered by the adjacent counties and Hendon district covers an area of N London incl Hendon airfield. It is possible that at the time they could have been victims of a V1 incident as the missiles were falling on London from 13/6/44
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks Dick

Yes I remember 13th June 44. a Tuesday and I was Duty Civil Defence Messenger at the District Office. It was late evening and hearing this strange engine noise we were standing outside the D.O. watching what we thought was a German plane on fire, the engine stopped and we heard an explosion. It became a busy night so I will not continue the story other than the fact that fortunately this one had fallen in the woods so no casualties. Not so fortunate on the following Sunday, one destroyed about six houses opposite ours killing three of our neighbours.

However, back to my WAAFs. Would the RAF Museum at Hendon have details of a possible incident at RAF Hendon on that date?

Regards

Tony

Thanks

Tony,

This from a quick Google

"The V1 bombs brought tragedy to Hendon Four members if the WAAF were killed by a flying-bomb which hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944. The WAAF quarters were also affected."

That is copied from the Museum website at

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/about-us/history-of-raf-museum-london-5.cfm

Also a brief mention at

http://www.barnet.gov.uk/index/leisure-culture/libraries/archives/archives-histories/archives-hendonhistories/archives-hendon-colindale.htm

Brian

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for that, a starting point for my research. Unfortunately checking the dates in my records I have 5 WAAFs died 1st July, one of those is buried in Wales so, just possible, there is no connection. I also have 2 died on the 3rd & 1 on the 4th that poses the question did these three die from injuries sustained in the attack?

Will come back later if I find the answers.

Tony

Thanks

Tony
    Try and check the place of death registration of your other WAAFs.If it was also Hendon it would re-inforce the possibility that they died in or as a result of the same incident, although in itself it doesn't constitute proof. Being taken "home" for burial was common for those who died in the UK, as was burial at the cemetery close to the point of death.
    As for 13/6/44,I was living in Fulham,SW London at the time and looking back I reckon it was one hell of a way for the Germans to celebrate my 7th birthday!! I was rude ,I never did thank them!!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick

I've already got it in hand an email to my daughter to check Ancestry for the Registration Districts. I understand that one can die in one place and be buried in another (mostly hometowns).

Not thanking them for celebrating your birthday was probably the reason they upgraded them and sent the V2.

Will let you know the outcome.

Tony

Thanks

The other thing Tony is that it was Colindale Hospital that was hit, so possibly one of the deaths was natural and not doe to enemy action.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

It's probably going to be a case of how much one is prepared to spend on Death Certificates for the doubtfuls.

Pity the GRO don't do a discount on bulk orders?

Tony

Thanks

The Times newspaper of Tuesday 4th July '44, reports of a number of flying bombs falling on London on Sunday and Monday, one in which there were eight fatalities, some of whom may have been U.S. personnel. Another had a single casualty. Maybe no connection but .... Details scarce due to censorship restrictions.
    Stewart
    Last edited by Stewart McLoughlin; 24th February 2010 at 01:05.