Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 254 Sqn loss 28 Jan 1944

Thanks

Default 254 Sqn loss 28 Jan 1944

Dear Gentlemen,

can anyone help me with the following questions?

28 Jan 1944
    254 Sqn Coastal Command
    Bristol Beaufighter ?
    QM-?
    Op: ?
    F/S Pilot N Yates +, 6A.E.3, first buried Heligoland Cemetery
    F/S B S Tugwell +, panel 222
    F/S Yates rests in Hamburg-Ohlsdorf Cemetery. F/S Tugwell is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Cause of loss?

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

LZ434 missing from sweep off Frisians.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Forgot to mention: t/o North Coates 13.20h - coded QM-F - probably hit by ships flak off Borkum.

Henk.

Thanks

Thanks a lot, Henk. Much appreciated as always!

Cheers

Steve

Thanks

Default 254 Sqn

Its a Beaufighter X. My book has pic of a 254 Beaufighter but it isnt F its RD467... Any use to anyone?
    Dee

Thanks

Hi.
    I know it's been quite a while since this thread was started but Norman Yates, the pilot of the aircraft you are talking about is my great uncle and I have been trying to find out about him.
    Is there any other information you know or know where I can find out about him?
    I know he trained at 31 EFTS De Winton and then obviously he ended up posted to 254 Sqn at North Coates, Lincolnshire. I don't know anything in between other than probably training on an SFTS in Canada, or is it probable he was posted from Canada straight to 254?
    I am also trying to find out about my other great uncle, Hugh Mitchell (would have been brother in laws) Who also trained around the Calgary area, probably similar dates as Norman, but I'm struggling to track his info down. It was slightly easier with Norman due to his War Grave information. Hugh did not die in the war, but died before I was born, maybe 70's or early 80's. I don't even know how I could find out his service number that would make all this so much easier.
    Thanks for your time.
    And thank you for the original post, I now know 100% that Norman was the pilot and the aircraft he was flying.
    Louise

Thanks

Hello Louise,

I can't reply specifically to some of your questions, but he can't have been posted from EFTS straight to an operational Squadron. As you presume, his elementary training was continued in a Service Flying Training School, and I don't see the point (I've never seen the case) of a pilot under training in Canada being transfered back to U.K. for his S.F.T.S.

It was at this S.F.T.S. that he was awarded his flying brevet (wings), and promoted to Sergeant. Then he was was sent in U.K., either by sea, possibly by air but most traveled by sea. In U.K. he must have been posted to a (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit, to get accustomed to English weather. Next stage would be an Operational Training Unit, when he would "crew up" with his navigator and learn to fly a Beaufighter. Only after the completion of this course in O.T.U. would the crew be posted to an operational front line Squadron.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss.
    I know where to start looking now with concerns to the different flying training he would have gone through.
    Thanks for your help
    Louise

Thanks

Louise,

Since he's a blood relative you can obtain his service record from the RAF:

RAF personnel records for officers (from 1922) and airmen (from 1924) may be obtained from the RAF Disclosures Section at RAF Cranwell. Advice on how to proceed can be found at:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

That will tell you much of what you're seeking, but you will probably need to come back to this forum for help in interpreting some of the acronyms. If you do I suggest you start a new thread with the subject heading "F/S Pilot N Yates" (plus his service number).

Brian

Thanks

Louise, do you know his full name, was he Hugh Mitchell or Hugh John Michael Peter Mitchell?

We might be able to find him in the London Gazette if he was commishioned as an officer.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com