Thread: Abbreviation

Thanks

Default Abbreviation

Hi,
    Old age creeping in, can't for the life of me remember what P.O.R means in relation to postings in and out of units,
    tia.........Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Personnel Occurrence Reports. (+Sickness, deaths, accidents, marriages, births and crimes etc.)

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st February 2010 at 08:50.

Thanks

Thanks Col,

Thanks

The PoR was introduced into the RAF sometime early in WW2 to replace the previously used "Casualty Report" which included much the same information, although its original purpose (presumably since being carried over from the Army in 1918) was simply to list casualties, as the name implies. However I believe that the Casualty Form slowly acquired additional responsibilities until the time came when it was decided to give this Form a new look and a new title.
    David D

Thanks

PORs covered all manner of arisings concerning personnel. There were various types of POR. Some were for Officers only, some for aircrew only and some for ground trades only. All occurances that affected personnel, eg; postings, discharges, promotions, leave, marriages, permission to live out in private accomodation, deaths, courses attended etc were listed in the various types of PORs. They were distributed throughout the station and to Group HQ, Command HQ, Air Ministry and the airmens record office at Ruislip (Later Innsworth). They were a means of communicating information between various establishments. The POR started to be replaced by computerised forms in 1965. These new forms were numbered Form 66** to begin with if my memory serves me right.

Hope this helps.

Phil
    Last edited by PHILRIGGER; 22nd February 2010 at 13:36.

Thanks

PORs might be regarded as the equivalent of The London Gazette for an RAF Station. As Phil says, they contained all sorts of admin niff-naff & trivia. But if you (or, indeed, "They") couldn't quote the Station/POR Reference Number then 'it' didn't happen and it all turned to worms. In my days (Pontius still only a Co-pilot!) PORs came out as an Appendix/Addendum(?) to Station Routine Orders. Big Station quite often. Small Station possibly even only monthly.
    I can recall reading, with some amazement in one POR, that LAC Bloggs had been given the minumum (and derisory!) sentence by some Court Martial for some escapades which would, in Civvy Street, have earned him about 25 yrs breaking rocks in Dartmoor (or Colchester)!! And I knew what he'd actually done!! Prisoner's Friend (or Defending Officer) deserved a medal!!! And that frightening Flight Sergeant that had been demoted for some admin offence like a minor mistake on a claim!! You get the scene!
    Not only that but the Local Press (Media, in those days hadn't been invented!) would get hold of a copy and - with what they found out from RAF personnel appearing in the local Magistrate's Court - publish all this with glee. Our friends on the other side of the Iron Curtain could tell, from monitoring the ratios of the ranks of those from the nearby RAF Little Slopton-on-the-Wold who appeared on Speeding, Drunk & Disorderly, Wife Beating, etc, etc, in front of The Beak and who were subsequently reported in The Local Paper, just what the rank structure/numbers was/were, and from that guess what the Station did.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 22nd February 2010 at 14:09.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default F540

We still use the 540s and strange to say we still have to send the central authority all the niff naff and trivia for them to note!

Dee