Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Unconfirmed Wellington Loss - 26-6-1944

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    That's interesting Col, thank you.

Wonder what A-B has for LN811? I've downloaded the 150 Sqn O.R.B. for May and June 1944*, and oddly there is no mention at all of LN811 during those two months.

MF240 is recorded in the Form 541 on twelve Ops in May, and ten in June, the last of which was June 25/26th. Of those, McAneney and his crew flew MF240 three times in May, and five times in June.

For June 25/26 the Form 540 records "...two of our crews F/O McAneney and F/O Shearer are missing all our other aircraft landed safely at base." The Form 541 has 415919 R E Shearer and crew in Wellington LN792 'Z' and McAneney and crew in MF240 'L'.

The only entry on the Form 540 from June 30th is "Stand down today."

*whoever wrote the O.R.B.s didn't have access to a typwriter, and the writing for the June ORB is terrible! The May one is written by someone else, and is much more legible.

Regards

Simon

EDIT:

As a matter of interest, I wondered about 1243785 Charles William HUM's Polar Medal, and came across this:

http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-wil...-ships-details
    Simon,

Re: Wellington X LN811. A-B RAF A/C LA100-LZ999 (1991)/Halley/p.79, has the following: LN811 - 303 FTU/3 OADU/150 Missing (Budapest) 26.6.44.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col, much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for the Form 541 details.
    Aus archives are a bit limited re Shearer’s crew. Consistently they are shown in LJ811, although the pilot, Shearer, is listed as dead in Tordas 35kms away from where the crew were listed, but neither crew nor wreck were found - maybe they were intercepted from one of the Luftwaffe’s small airfields(like Gyuro, maybe?) before they dropped their payload, enroute to either river, or rail in Dunaharaszti.
    The Luftwaffe archives list pilots’ claims, so that might help cross reference, if it is reliable.
    Just to complicate things, letters show they were flying back to backs from Milan/Foggia. I also see B/C would send them back out with replacement crews & if they complained they got LMFs.
    Cheers

Thanks

The Aus casualty archives seem to indicate attempted repatriation and notifications began on June 29 for the crews of the 3/4 Wellingtons that went down 24/6-26-6/1944. That may be the reason for the stand down on 30/6?

Thanks

Also, just heard from AHB today & they’ve very quickly responded to let me know they have absolutely nothing on any missions over Hungary (& no info about Bomber Command joint ops) including these 4 Wellingtons (that they have provided information about before).
    They’ve referred me to USAAF - if I obtain anything helpful, I will post a link here. Again, thanks - if I hadn’t read your posts I wouldn’t know that those details exist. Cheers.