Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WW2 RAF Takoradi West Africa

Thanks

Hi All.
    This is my first time back for a couple of years. I would like to post some photos of my Dad who was in Takoradi in 1944/5. When talking about it he always said he was on 'Jungle Recovery' but I'm not sure if that was a special Unit or were they scattered all over in all units? I would be pleased to hear from anyone who can help with this small mystery. I have the 1944 Christmas Menu, and very nice it looked too!! Fully signed on the back by participants of the feast. In addition there are other photos and the programme of a Musical Revue called:CARELESS PALAVER put on by All ranks that I would like to share. Thank You. Brian

Thanks

Brian,

There may have been similar systems all over the bits of Africa that were regularly flown over by the RAF in WW2 and shortly thereafter.

At RAF El Adem in the early 50’s there was the Desert Rescue Column. This was (at least) a Bedford 30-cwt truck, and 2 long-wheelbase Landrovers. There was lots of desert survival gear, and nav eqpt (Kollsman sun compass, etc). It had a big ‘patch’ to cover. Cyrenaica and The Fezzan from the Egyptian border down to Chad, and across to 20 deg E.

I had to assume that this was “official”, rather than “just a good idea” on the part of CO El Adem. Some considerable official effort was put into its exercises. It could be re-supplied (fuel, water, food, spares, etc) by air if necessary. We dropped stuff to one DRC ex from the El Adem Pembroke – and there was always the 70 Sqn Hastings’ from Cyprus!

I have no idea where any ORBs might be. I have no idea if any similar DRCs were organised at RAF Benina/Benghazi and/or RAF Castel Benito/Idris. One of the reasons, I think, why Cyrenaica/Fezzan was chosen was that it was also used by The Hooligans (elements of Spec Forces were sometimes positioned/recovered by the Beverleys from locations deep in the bundoo on various exercises/experiments (you can have no idea just how quickly a bright pink(!) SAS Landrover can apparently ‘disappear’ a few hundred yards into the bundoo!!!). Col R A Bagnold wrote the definitive work - Bagnold, Ralph Alger (1941). The Physics of Blown Sand and Desert Dunes. 265 pages. London: Methuen. It’s a fascinating book – especially when you can check his theories practically in nearly the same location(s), as I did!!

OK – that was N Africa and the Sahara Desert. Something ‘official’ had clearly been organised on a fairly large scale – even if its organisation was, by the early 50’s, becoming less imperative! There does sound to me, from yr post #21, that something similar was in train in the ‘jungly bits’ a bit further south, and over which hundreds of airframes were flown from the New World to the ME, India, FE, and beyond!!!

Where are the histories, and the ORBs. There must have been some ‘paperwork’? It must have been recorded? Or were the folk (like me!) who enjoyed going out into the bundoo/jungle to use their personal technical skills regarded as just one step from ’The Happy Farm’?

Let Us know if you find anything!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 15th August 2019 at 16:43.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!