Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WW2 RAF Takoradi West Africa

Thanks

Default WW2 RAF Takoradi West Africa

I am trying to trace anybody who has relatives who were stationed at RAF Takoradi in 1943/44. I have photographs taken at that time and would like to exchange information

Thanks

Default Takoradi WWII

Hi, my late father was stationed at Takordi from early 1944 till the end of the war. He was with 26 Sqn SAAF which was seconded to the RAF. This sqn seemed to be somewhat forgotten and I struggled to find info about it so I've set up a website about 26 Sqn which you may find of interest.

26 Sqn Unofficial Website: http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/bd000006/

The SAAF crews obviously interacted with the RAF quite extensively so any Takoradi info, pictures, stories etc etc that you have would be of great interest to me.

Best regards

Thanks

Default Takoradi

My dad was also stationed at Takoradi. I would swap pics and any info you have. He was Fl.Lt then Sq.ldr CJT Giddings and by all accounts he enjoyed his war with transport command in West Africa. Do you know anything about a base at bangui or Cape Castle o n the Gold Coast? Regards Tim (giddingstim@sky.com)

Thanks

Hi All! my grandad was stationed here during WWII also, with the electricians

and he compiled a very interesting photo diary, packed full of photographs, while he was there

It's full of both photographs of the local life as well as fellow electricians in the RAF.
    I've got lots of group photographs. I can scan and email a few to anyone who wishes, in exchange for anything else interesting of course!!!

feel free to email away, with details

cenobitehell@hotmail.com

ps he only included group shots and personal shots of those also in the Electricians and Engineers, I don't think there are any pictures of the pilots or anything in there.

all the best

Nathan Head
    one and only grandson of
    RAF Electrician Vincent "Binky" Head
    Last edited by NathanHead; 26th November 2012 at 16:08. Reason: spotted a few mistakes

Thanks

hello Nathan

are the group shots anotated with names of those in them? Would you consider adding them to some form of Flickr account to share with people, especially if they have names.

regards, Dennis

(Note, if your replying, please don;t hit the quote buttom! - http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9289-Use-of-Quote-Function
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default group pictures of the Electricians based at RAF Takoradi during WWII

Hi Dennis!

he did annotate a lot of the photos, but sadly not the big group ones.

some of the smaller groups (of say three people or so) he has written first names or nicknames next to them
    some of the book also has pictures of the base itself, but a lot of it is the wildlife and local topless ladies, which he very politically-incorrectly refers to as "Wogesses". haha oh it was different times.

here's a few just as a taster. I'll remember to try and get a few more up in the week

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/cenobitehell/takoradi2.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/cenobitehell/takoradi1.jpg

I LOVE the "roll on the boat" picture, it's a perfect snapshot of the feelings at the time.
    Lovely piece of history. I'm so glad he compiled this book, I look through it every so often just to get an idea of what it was like during that period.
    Last edited by NathanHead; 26th November 2012 at 16:38. Reason: amending mistakes

Thanks

Default 26 Squadron Website has moved

Hi All

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for ages.

Please note that the 26 Squadron SAAF unofficial site is moving to a new hosting at http://www.26squadron.co.za. I'll keep the old one going as well for now.

I'd really appreciate ANY & ALL photos that you guys can send me for the site. Crews, ground crews, logbooks, memorabilia, menu's, in fact pretty much everything and anything from the Gold Coast, Takoradi or related activities.

Best regards
    Bruce

Thanks

Default Takoradi Sunderland flying boat crews 1944-45

Hi All,

I am very new to this forum, this is my 1st post.

In clearing out my late mother's bungalow my sister Christine and I found a photo of what appears to be a Sunderland flying boat with masses of faces but NO NAMES !! :o(

My father had spoken in the dim and distant past that he was stationed at Takoradi from 1944-45 and that he was an "instrument mechanic", working on Short Sunderland flying boats,as I remember it.

Dad was Corporal V H (Vic) McCartney. Dad was born in Lisburn County Antrim and had a Northern Irish accent to the day that he died even though he lived in England from the date of his wedding to my mother in 1947.

If anyone has any info/photos my sister and I would be both grateful and fascinated in equal part.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

In clearing out my late mother's bungalow my sister Christine and I found a photo of what appears to be a Sunderland flying boat with masses of faces but NO NAMES !! :o(

My father had spoken in the dim and distant past that he was stationed at Takoradi from 1944-45 and that he was an "instrument mechanic", working on Short Sunderland flying boats,as I remember it.

Dad was Corporal V H (Vic) McCartney. Dad was born in Lisburn County Antrim and had a Northern Irish accent to the day that he died even though he lived in England from the date of his wedding to my mother in 1947.

John McCartney

john.mccartney7@btinternet.com

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

This may be a "resend" as the site crashed during my 1st attempt

John McCartney

john.mccartney7@btinternet.com