Thread: 430121 - Unaccounted airmen - 21-1-1943

Thanks

Default 430121 - Unaccounted airmen - 21-1-1943

What were the places of death registration for:

A - Killed on active service:
    W/Cdr Arthur W.M. FINNY - 32007, and
    LAC George H. PALLEN - 1222656.

B - Died on active service:
    LAC Clifford T. JONES - 1452329 - age 38 - 124 Sqn (Martlesham Heath, Suffolk).

C - Not found in Flight archives:
    Cpl Reginald W. TEBBUTT - 17481 - age 46.

D - Also looking for GRO-listing:
    AC1 Patrick J. HENEGAN - 1268817 - Beja War Cem., Algeria - DOAS.
    F/O Douglas HUNTER - 122133 - Malta Memorial Panel 6 Column 2 - Missing believed killed in Action.

E - Proposed aircraft losses:
    Battle I - L5140 - 1472 Flt - crashed in forced landing 1 mile E of Streatlam Park, 3 miles NE of Barnard Castle, Co. Durham.
    Beaufighter I - T4754 - 2 (C)OTU - crashed on approach 400 yards N of Catfoss.
    Magister I - R1919 - 308 Sqn - crashed in forced landing 2 miles NE of Ormesby, Norfolk.
    Master III - W8864 - 5 (P)AFU - abandoned Scotland Nursery, Butterley, Derbyshire.
    Proctor III - R7564 - 4 RS - crashed in forced landing Peg's Farm, Wellington Heath, 2 miles N of Ledbury, Hereford.
    Tiger Moth II - T7271 - 198 Sqn - crashed on take-off Digby.
    Tiger Moth II - N9333 - 3 EFTS - spun into ground 1 mile W of Challow, Berkshire.
    Tiger Moth II - N6724 - 29 EFTS - abandoned Ravensbrook Farm, Minety, near Cricklade, Wiltshire.
    Defiant I - T4051 - 276 Sqn - abandoned Stafford Farm, West Stafford, Dorset.
    Tiger Moth - BB816 (ex. G-ADJD) - 28 EFTS - collided with Tiger Moth R5101 and crashed on aqueduct Watling Street near Brewood, Stafford (already as a casualty on R5101: 2/Lt A. AKSU (Turkish Air Force), buried Brookwood Mil. Cem., Woking).
    Tomahawk II.A - AH905 - 430 Sqn - crashed in forced landing Bensfield, Surrey.
    Whitley VII - LA798 - 8 FPP - crashed on approach Sydenham Ave, Hollywood Road, Belfast.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

On Tiger Moth BB816 already as a casualty LAC (Pilot u/t) S.A. DE'ATH - 1332723.

Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

Re: Defiant I - T4051 - 276 Sqn.

No 276 squadron lost a Defiant on 22 January (1943), due to the weather rather than enemy action. Flight Sergeant K Hall and Flight Sergeant W Elder took off in T4051 at 1:55 p.m, to search for three men known to be in the water - without a dinghy. So despite the weather, both knew they had to find them and drop a dinghy before the three men died of cold. Bill Elder recalls:

"We searched for 50 minutes off the south coast and finally sighted the three aircrew in Mae Wests. We dropped them a large dinghy but by now the weather was deteriorating rapidly so we had to head back.

On nearing our home base, cloud came down to the 200 feet level, and as we were also running short of fuel my pilot ordered me to bale out when we were around 1,500 feet. I landed on the white chalk of Cerne Abbas Giant, north of Dorchester".

Flight Sergeant Hall also baled out successfully.

See:
    Another Kind Of Courage:Stories of the UK-based Walrus Air-Sea Rescue Squadrons.
    Franks,Norman.
    Sparkford:P.S.L.,1994.
    p.58

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd March 2010 at 11:51.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Finny, 33 registered at West Cheshire
    Pallen,36, registered at Lewes,Sussex
    Jones,38, registered at Epping,Essex
    Tebbutt,46,registered at Cambridge
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Henk, regarding Battle L5140.

1472 Flt ORB states F/O Lee crashed in Battle L5140 due to engine failure. The aircraft was a complete write off, but the pilot was uninjured. The accident occurred near Barnard Castle in the afternoon, F/O Lee having returned from Hendon in the Battle in the morning.

Beaufighter T4754 I have nothing as yet, other than force landed 400yds short on north side on approach to land at Catfoss.

regards Rich

Thanks

Thanks Col, Dick & Rich for your excellent help.
    Best regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

W8864 crashed near Beeston in Cheshire, the crew being Sgt G. L. Johnson (1233516) and Wing Commander Finny. Johnson abandoned the aircraft on seeing W/Cdr Finny preparing to vacate the aircraft but Finny was unsuccessful. He was found close to the crash site, his chute has partially opened but was extensively damaged.

The purpose of the flight was re-categorisation of Sgt Johnson, one of the 5 (P)AFU instructors.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks Al for interesting info on Master W8864 and its crew.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    It looks as though the crash site for W8864 needs revision.Al places it at Beeston and Finny as died at the crash site.That explains his registration in W Cheshire,you had it as Butterley in Derbyshire which is too far east for the registration
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Revision is one way of putting it, I've got a copy of the 1180 which gives a map reference that comes out close to the former railway station at Beeston and the ORB states the crash occurred "on the outskirts of Beeston" (the railway more or less marks the boundary between Beeston and Tarporley). I don't know who suggested the crash occurred in Derbyshire but they want some good questions asking of their research skills. I can get the map reference to within 2km of the location at Butterley by changing the first number in the map reference from 0 to 8 (moving it 80km eastwards).

This is a problem that has surfaced in Air Britain publications more recently, original editions were produced from AHB and NA references but more recently speculated locations from less reliable sources and incorrect serial numbers attributed to real crashes have been appearing as fact in these well respected and used series.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/