Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 430123 - Unaccounted airmen - 23-1-1943

Thanks

Thanks Ross for confirmation. They were already in my files under Wellington R1598.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airmen 23/1/43

Henk , more for you ,
    1/HURRICANE P3031 , 59 OTU PILOTING THIS A/C ON THIS DATE WAS ,SGT E W MARSHALL he was injured
    a/c hit tree on approach at night .

2/ Spitfire P8569 , OF 61 OTU,
    ORB FOR 61 OTU states the crash took place on 24/1/43 , ?? however this is what is listed

"One flying accident involving SGT WILSON ,Flying Spitfire P8569, A/C crashed in ploughed field when attempting a f/l due to glycol leak,pilot was very near to base and hadn't much heightand therfore hadn't much oppertunity to
    pick a suitable field. Pilot Injured and admitted to RAF HOSPITAL COSFORD .

bw phill jones

Thanks

Thanks again Phill.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello

Cpl Albert THISTLETHWAITE - 1127563 - the Statutory Deaths Register on the Scotland's People website records that he died at 9.45 p.m. at Charter Hall, due to extensive laceration of the brain 'due to war operations.'

The Chaterhall Story, by J. B. Thompson, page 33: [On January 23rd] Sgt A. S McEvoy, an Australian pilot, was taxying his Blenheim at Charterhall when it struck a member of the ground crew, killing him instantly.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default Re: 430123 - Unaccounted airmen - 23-1-1943

Douglas John Le masurier was KIA, see facebook plugin comment for details

Thanks

CORRECTION to Henry Wilfred Yates R 50609 he died in 8th general hospital Alexandria of injuries sustained when he was the victim of a robbery with violence. He did not die in a spitfire in France and was not aircrew

Also he was a member of No 417 Sqn not 416 Sqn - see ORB for 417
    Last edited by Jagan; 28th November 2021 at 18:14.

Thanks

Default Re: The Unaccounted Project - Final Stretch Updates by Jon Heyworth

Albert Thistethwaite 1127563 , attached to 54 OTU, was hit by a taxying Blenheim at RAF Charterhall dying of a fractured skull

Thanks

I am looking into some missing air crew cases for my masters thesis and could use a little input.

One of these cases is Wellington HX646 of 221 Sqn which was lost on a convoy strike on the night of 23 January 1943 west of Sicily. The only information I have is "Left 1805 for W of Sicily to attack convoy, FTR". There was one survivor, Sgt Francis Joseph Baker, who became a POW and apparently reported that the aircraft had fallen victim to a night fighter. The other members of the crew are all still unaccounted for. They are:
    -S/Ldr Geoffrey Francis Jackson (RAAF),
    -F/O James Ian Craig (RAAF)
    -F/Sgt Robert John Burns (RAAF)
    -F/O Sam Chester Shusterove (RCAF)
    -Sgt Stephen George Vials (RAF)

However, I have not been able to find anything further that might give me some idea where the aircraft might have gone down which is the purpose of this part of the project.

I am used to how the American military records from WWII are organized and archived but am still getting a handle on the Commonwealth records and how they are set up so bear with me. Would there be records on where the crew was sent to try and intercept the convoy? What about records related to Sgt Baker and where he was picked up by the Italians or Germans?

Thanks

Hello,

I'd have a read of the RAAF members files. I had a quick look at S/Ldr Jackson's which has been digitized.

Go to naa.gov.au and in the search block use his service number: 400414

As far as the RCAF member of the crew, J10666 F/O Sam Shusterove you can register at www.ancestry.ca. Don't pay. Just get an account. Free of charge. About a decade ago, the LAC in Ottawa arranged with ancestry to digitize select documents from the service files of all Canadian killed in WWII.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hello,

I'd have a read of the RAAF members files. I had a quick look at S/Ldr Jackson's which has been digitized.

Go to naa.gov.au and in the search block use his service number: 400414

As far as the RCAF member of the crew, J10666 F/O Sam Shusterove you can register at www.ancestry.ca. Don't pay. Just get an account. Free of charge. About a decade ago, the LAC in Ottawa arranged with ancestry to digitize select documents from the service files of all Canadian killed in WWII.

Regards,

Dave
    Thanks! That is a big help. There is always such a learning curve with regards to dealing with new archives.

As an aside, I just wish there was more available online for the Italian side of things. Trying to research those losses makes anything else seem a clear and easy path.