Thread: 270 Sqd Coastal Command West Africa 1944

Thanks

Default 270 Sqd Coastal Command West Africa 1944

I am interested in making contact with anyone who can tell me anything about 270 Squadron Coastal Command in West Africa in 1944. My father, Edward Railton, was a WOP/AG on Sunderlands Mk III with the Squadron. The crew of his aircraft were: Skipper/1st pilot Fg Off Weskett, 2nd pilot Fg Off Brigdon, Nav Flt Lt Martin, Eng F/Sgt Karren, AG F/Sgt Searle, WOM/AG Sgt Coate, FME Sgt Kirkwood, 1st WOP/AG Sgt Mennel, AG Sgt Mack, 2nd WOP/AG Sgt E Railton. I am also interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about any of these people or any other members of 270 at that time.

Thanks

Default 270 San

Not a lot on this sqn in my book but it does as follows:
    On 12 Nov 1942 270 Sqn reformed at Jui, Gambia, for anti submarine operations off the coast of West Africa. In Jul 43 it moved to Apapa, Nigeria and at the end of the year began to convert to Sunderland III from Catalina Ib. By May 44 all the Catalinas had been replaced and the sqn continued its patrols until the end of the war. On 30 Jun 45 it was disbanded.

Have you tried the Royal Air Force Assn to see if you can contact any veterans. Unfortunately 270 Sqn dont have a veterans association (pity) but you could try http://www.ccmaa.org.uk/ which is the coastal command association...

Dee