Thread: RAF Special Reserve?

Thanks

Default RAF Special Reserve?

Hi guys

what exactly was the Royal Air Force Special Reserve, and how did it differ from the Auxiliary Air Force? The two were obviously seperate entities because for a while they existed at the same time

cheers
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit

The SR consisted of both regular and part time personnel approximately 50% of each, the OC was a regular and initially so were the other executives but gradually this changed as the SR personnel gained experience.

The only permanent staff on a AuxAF squadron was the Adjutant who also needed to be a qualified instructor, an assistant instructor and a few maintenance personnel to service the aircraft during the week, all other personnel were AuxAF.

SR officers were listed separately to AuxAF officers in the Air Force Lists until the two were amalgamated and SR personnel transferred to the AuxAF.

Malcolm

Thanks

Amrit, phew!!! - you were lucky that Malcolm replied!! If anybody knew then t'was he!
    But my own experiences with RAF Reserve Forces (of various types - and I was one of several!!) leads me to believe that even the RAF itself played 'fast & loose' with the precise, technical, rules regarding who should be in what Reserve, where, and when. Absolute minefield!! Nobel Prizes have been awarded for less!!!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Just one to keep you amused...
    A recently serving member of the FAA left the RN and joined the RAF.
    During one of our recent conflicts the RN called him up as a reservist as he was still within the period he could be called back.
    He asked his RAF CO to explain to the RN why a full time member of the RAF was unable to serve part time in the RN

Thanks

Thank you guys.

Malcolm, so if one had a hierachy (for want of a better term) then it would be RAF, RAFSR, and then RAFAuxR?

Peter, you know me - never one to ask straighforward questions :)

James, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during that phone call. :)

cheers all
    A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

SR and AuxAF would be considered equal in the context you refer to bt as I was always informed when in the VR(T) all commissions are equal regardless of branch as all commissions are 'signed' by The Queen.

The only hierachy is that of the rank held and the seniority within the rank.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default RAF Auxiliary

When I became a full time reservist rather than a part time auxiliary I was asked whether I want to be a reservist or an auxiliary full time. As they combined the two and I was at the Parade in front of Prince Andrew when it was celebrated I got very confused.... It used to be that regulars went into the reserves for a period of time when they left (depending on how long they had done) but that this was commuted in they joined the RAF Auxiliary!

Most Oggie Sqns nowadays have more than a full time Adj and part time everything else which is a change. The Sqn I was on have 2 full time RAF - adj and sqn clerk then about 5 full time reservists...

Obviously this may all change after the SDR that they are going to do soon.

Dee