Thread: Lancaster crash at the City Schwanheim (Pfalz)

Thanks

Default Lancaster crash at the City Schwanheim (Pfalz)

Hello,
    due have anybody information about a Lancaster crash at the city Schwanheim and near the City Annweiler in the Pfalz Area Germany.
    Date can be summer 1943 or 1944.
    the crew was KIA at this crash.
    Thanks for your help.
    regards
    Klaus

Thanks

Klaus are you sure of the Lancaster as I have a Stirling (EE893) which crashed on 5/6 September 1943 at Schwanheim, near Bensheim. Danny

Thanks

Klaus,
    Also have "STIRLING" EE893 crashed ˝ km S of Schwanheim approx. 01.30 hrs 6-9-1943. Three of the crew, among them the pilot, P/O E.S. WILKINSON NZ417138, were initially buried 7-9-1943 at Schwanheim. Crewmember number four was not found before Spring 1944 in a wooded area 2 km W of Schwanheim and buried next to his comrades.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Klaus,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1942-1998)':

Sun 5/Mon 6 Sep 1943
    BOMBER COMMAND

Raid on Mannheim-Ludwigshafen, Germany (by 605 aircraft - 37 lost)...

...75 (NZ) Squadron, RAF (Mepal, Cambridgeshire - 3 Group)
    Stirling III EE893/N - took off at 1959 on same raid as the above, and shot down north of the target area, crashing near Schwanheim, 4km WNW of Bensheim. The RAF mid-upper gunner survived and was taken prisoner, as were RNZAF navigator Flt Sgt G N Simes and air bomber Flt Sgt N G R Treacher. Their four comrades were buried in a collective grave at Schwanheim, but later reinterred at Rheinberg, 12km south of Wesel. The RAF rear gunner, George Stanley Wilkinson of Kent, shared not only the second given name of his captain but their respective fathers were also named Stanley.
    Captain: NZ417138 Plt Off Ernest Stanley WILKINSON, RNZAF - Age 25. 565hrs.

And an amendment from Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

pp139-140; WILKINSON, E S – crashed 500 metres south of Schwanheim at 0130. Three bodies, including Wilkinson’s, were buried in a collective grave on the 7th. The fourth, not found until the spring of 1944 in a forest 2km west of the village, was then buried alongside his comrades.

Errol

Thanks

Default Stirling Crash at Schwanheim

Hello Henk, Danny and Erroll,
    thank you very much for find out the Plane.
    In spoke a Eyewittness in Schwanheim and he told me the story of one the crewmember where was found in the springtime biside of a rock in a wooded area.
    The crewmwmber was found by a woodworker.
    a other Eyewithness show me the pouf from the radio operator, this one was fall out the plane during the time where the plane broke in two parts.
    Thanks
    regards Klaus

Thanks

Hello Henk, Danny and Eroll,
    once, the crashside is in Schwanheim near Annweiler (Pfalz Area) not near Bensheim.
    both crashsides have distance together of 80km
    regards
    Klaus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Deschner View Post
    Hello Henk, Danny and Eroll,
    once, the crashside is in Schwanheim near Annweiler (Pfalz Area) not near Bensheim.
    both crashsides have distance together of 80km
    regards
    Klaus
    Klaus,

Ah, there are two places named Schwanheim! It looks as though I may have identified the incorrect one for my 'For Your Tomorrow' entry. Checking again now a No.2 MREU casualty form from Wilkinson's service record I see that it has 'place of crash Schwarzenheim [on another casualty document referred to as Schwanheim, Kreis Bergzabern', which ties in with Annweiler area rather than Bensheim?

The body in the forest was found by a man named Spengler Wilhelm. Documents do not say what his occupation was, nor do they mention the rock, but they do say 'spring 1944'.

Errol

Thanks

Hello Eroll,
    Schwanheim is the right Position near Bergzabern (Anweiler area)
    This Schwanheim is based in a Wooded area, the Schwanheim at Bensheim is based far outside of wooded area.
    The Eyewitthness show me the pleace where are the crewmember lie in the wood.
    I will send you to your privat mail a screenshoot of the crashside and the crewmember locality.
    regards Klaus

Thanks

Thanks Klaus, appreciated.

Errol