Thread: Sgt Frank Edwin Fricker Bale - 976784 - 57 Sqd

Thanks

Default Sgt Frank Edwin Fricker Bale - 976784 - 57 Sqd

Afternoon to you all,

Could someone answer the following please. The mentioned airman was lost on 6/9/44 but when I found the relevant date in Chorley's Bomber Command Losses for 1994 I found no entry for Sgt Bale. Also when checking Chorley's Roll of Honour Volume Sgt Bale is quoted as dying on the the same date and with 57 Sqd.

Maybe as they say, "I can't see for looking," but I cannot find any information concerning Sgt Bale so therefore, any information anyone has in relevance to him would be gratefully received. Sgt Bale is buried in Durnbach War Cemetery.

Thanks in advance and hope you are all well and in fine spirits.

Steve.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

See: BCL5/322 (7/8-7-1944 57 Sqn Lancaster I ME868).

Col.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Just in case you haven't got access to all Chorley's BCL, in the incident reported by Col the a/c was attacking a V1 site at St Leu when it crashed. 3 of the crew were killed,2 evaded and 1 became POW. Bale is recorded as injured and as he is interred in Durnbach it suggests that he fell into German hands and died in Sept from his injuries. There must be an outside chance that he came back into Allied hands despite his injuries, and died with them but I would express doubt that he would then have been buried in or moved into Durnbach as the beachead was well established even in July and moreso in Sept.
    Apologies if I am duplicating what you have worked out already
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Col and Dick,

Col, thanks for putting me on the right track within Chorley's BCL's and it came as a surprise when you gave the date of the original loss of Bale's aircraft. But - as Dick wrote - I also came to the conclusion that he had been injured and therefore died on the date given due to his original injuries.

Cheers both and best wishes too.

Steve.