Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Coastal Command' Film 1942

Behblc Guest

Default Pilot in the camera aircraft.

The pilot in the "camera ship / plane " was Fl/lt. Eddy Edwards who later went on to be an instructor at 131 OTU Killadeas.
    The aicraft he flew for this was a Catalina, the fliming done from the nose of the aircraft.

Thanks

Default 'Coastal Command' Film 1942

Thanks for that, very much appreciated!

Do you know what squadron F/Lt. Edwards was with during the filming?

Russ

Thanks

Default Coastal Command Film 1942 - The Gunner was John Mason

I hope some of you guys who were interested in this thread are still around on the board, as I joined this forum just to answer the question initially posed, ie “ who were the RAF personnel who appeared in the film Coastal Commend”? I used to know the gunner who appeared, whose name was John Mason. I don't know what his rank was at the time.

Let me explain how this came about. Last Sunday evening I watched a programme on BBC 1 called “World War II Unearthed”, which featured the activities of Sunderlands off the the N Ireland coast. It included a clip from the film of a gunner on a Sunderland, which I had seen a few times before and I know that this gunner was John Mason. The tv programme is still available on Iplayer and is excellent.

John Mason was my dad's best friend and when I was a little boy I was taken to see a screening of the film and I remember the experience to this day. After seeing the tv programme I Googled the film and as well as finding this thread I found an entry on Wikipedia. I was absolutely amazed to see on the Wikipedia entry picture of a DVD cover for the film, showing none other than John Mason. Take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_Command_(film).

After the war John returned to his job as a sales representative with John Player and Son and lived in Greenford, Middlesex. He was a charming man with a great sense of humour and very proud of his days in the RAF. He had a wife Cath and one son called David. Regrettably he died of a heart attack in the early 70s.

I hope someone on the site will be interested in the brief epitaph for John, one of the real characters in the film “Coastal Command”.

Ricardo

Thanks

Default Coastal Command film

I have been Reading with Interest This Thread as many yrs Ago while living and Working Nr Oban i became interested in the Flying Boat Operations within Oban Bay , and Naturaly This film became Known to me A mutual Friend who lived in Oban was a Mine of Information on Such matters His records make Very Interesting Reading with regard to this film.

From My understanding of this film i reply to this Thread with some bits and Bobs that i have Recorded in my notes .

On Friday 16th Oct 1942 The Premiere was held in London at the Plaza Theatre Piccadilly of the Film "Coastal Command ". A record of the flying Boat and land based Aircraft of Coastal Command, Directed By Jack Holmes of the RAF FILM unit , The subject was to focus on the Crew of A Sunderland Operating from a Fictitious Station known as PORT FERRY BAY .

On the 10th Oct 1941 , 228 Sqd Moved from Pembroke Dock to Stranraer to re-equip with Sunderlands to replace its Ageing Singapores , This Sqd was Picked to Provide the Aircrew for the Film.it was decided that the Crew of S/L Joe Grunert was to be used , Althought S/L Grunert was not to be used and it has been stated that he Claimed himself far to Ugly to take the leading role , and 37179 W/C Ernest Leslie JOHNNIE Hyde DFC from 204 Sqd took up the leading role , Grunert flew the Second Sunderland used as a Camera Ship and which also doubled up as the RAAF 10 Sqd Aircraft RB-K

The Sqd Received its First Sunderlands 3rd Nov and a second on the 6th The crew selected for Film were

1/ W/C ELJ Hyde DFC
    2/F/O S Briscoe .
    3/F/L J Butch C Mason
    4/F/Sgt E J Hewardine
    5/F/Sgt CN Lewis .
    6/F/Sgt W R Jones
    7/F/Sgt P Moon.
    8/F/Sgt R Pam Barton.
    9/Sgt T Israel.
    10/ Cpl J Munday.

On the 7th Feb The aircraft was flown down to Mount Batten and taken up the slip while some of the Interor Scenes were shot and then the filming was carried out at Pinewood .

Before the Completed Film was Shown on the 16th Oct 42 , all but five of the Original crew of T-Tommy Were dead Hewerdine , Lewis & Jones were killed in the Crash of Sunderland that claimed the Duke of Kent , along with the Rest of the crew Except the Rear Gunner Sgt A Jack .

I have much more on this if anyone wishes to PM , me

bw phill jones
    Last edited by phill jones; 18th July 2012 at 19:13. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thanks Ricardo and Phil.

Phil, I've sent you a PM,

Russ

Thanks

Russ , some more bits for you , Johnnie Hyde was Killed on a Beaufighter Strike off the Norwegian coast whilst C.O of 248 Sqd, and the Catalina flown as a Camera Ship was QL-A of 413 RCAF Sqd .
    Serial No AH 568.

One F/sgt J Humpreys then a WEM/AG attached to 413 RCAF Sqd ,was one of the Crew assigned toi CAMERA work on board the CATALINA he Recalled Problems on one Flight 4/7/42 "The Aircraft had to make a sharp dive to take a Camera Shot of the surface of the sea coming up ,to be used for the Torpedo attack The problem was that the Photographer perched at the nose of the A/C WAS so terrified that he kept forgetting to operate the CAMERA . ON AN another occasion the filming was Posponed as we were chased by a pair of JU88'S off the Coast of Islay

bw phill jones

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

It's been a while since I looked at them but for those interested in Coastal Command footage, the IWM holds 'RAF Coastal Command – The Unseen Films' (Ref. IWM AV00993), a series of films that includes dramatizations of ops in WWII and ends with Shackletons.

Some interesting footage if you can get past the omnipresent cigarettes and endless pouring of cups of tea!

Regards:

Robert