Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Coastal Command' Film 1942

Thanks

Default 'Coastal Command' Film 1942

Hi All,

This is one of these trivial questions about a film but curiosity is getting the better of me.

One of my all time favourite wartime films is 'Coastal Command' released in 1942 and shot at RAF Port Ellen and RAF Bowmore. All the actors were serving RAF officers but can anyone tell me who they were and what happened to them. Also can anyone name the true squadrons of the Sunderlands, Catalinas, Hudsons, Beauforts and Beaufighters featured in the film.

Sorry this sounds like a pub quiz question but any help would be of considerable interest.

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ
    Look at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034603/ for some details of the film I think you are looking for. There is also a mention on Wikipaedia but in neither case is there a cast list. It seems to have been made by the Crown Film Unit and used serving personnel. The only 2 names are Roger Hunter and Charles Norman Lewis (mentioned in Wikipaedia), both are reported to have died later in the war.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks Dick,

I have looked at the IMDB datebase (in fact it is really interesting to browse through!) and Wikipaedia but was after more detail. Charles Norman Lewis was with 228 Sqdn (Oban) but I cant seem to find Roger Hunter.

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks

Hi All,

Charles Norman Lewis was killed on 25/08/1942 flying with 228 squadron. Can anyone identify the aircraft?

Russ

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi Russ,
    I cannot name any of the actors, but the pilot who flew the RAF Film Unit for the air to sea shots was a Sgt Parrott, of No 1 PRU, Benson, in a Hudson. Don't know if he actually appeared in the film, though. I met him about 20 years ago, when he was living in Keynsham, nr Bristol.
    Doug.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RussG View Post
    Hi All,

Charles Norman Lewis was killed on 25/08/1942 flying with 228 squadron. Can anyone identify the aircraft?

Russ
    Sunderland W4026

Lewis was one of the crew killed in the aircraft carrying H.R.H. The Duke of Kent:

http://www.rafoban.co.uk/page9.htm

A

Thanks

Thanks very much Amrit and Doug for two excellent replies.

Did Sgt. Parrott mention the film at all Doug?

I believe 228 sqdn was the squadron used for the film as the codes appear to be DQ on the Sunderland and I can only assume Roger Hunter was with the same squadron. He also wears a DFC in the film which I take is his but I cannot find it on the LG for some reason (nor can I find his death in the CWGC), maybe someone can help there.

Thanks again for all your help,

Russ

Thanks

The closest fit appears to be Roger Edward Hunter (40540):

DFC citation:

Flight Lieutenant Leslie Fox (36099), No.209 Squadron
    Acting Flight Lieutenant Roger Edward HUNTER (40540), No.240 Squadron.
    These captains of aircraft have completed 500 and 850 operational flying hours respectively and have always shown outstanding zeal, cheerfulness and courage in their flying duties. On two occasions they have carried out important duties involving long distance flights during which the weather conditions were most adverse and navigational aids were almost non-existent. In the successful completion of these most responsible tasks they showed fine determination and a-very high standard of airmanship.

London Gazette 5 Aug 1941

However, he appears to have survived the war

A

EDIT: from http://www.rcafmuseum.on.ca/422ww2.htm

"July 8, 1942, F/L Roger Hunter DFC, an experienced R.A.F Catalina pilot, arrived to be flight commander (422 R.C.A.F. Squadron)"
    Last edited by Amrit; 2nd February 2008 at 18:31.

Thanks

Thanks Amrit,

I have seen the 422 sqdn. webpage which mentions Hunter but there is another mention of him at http://www.huronia.net/422sqdrn/13.htm. Here there is a picture of him which I dont think looks like the 'film' Hunter and also it has him as being 6 foot 8!! This man appears to have survived the war. He is not however recorded as Roger Edward so I cannot really tie the two together.

If I can find the men, squadron and date I can then get the relevent ORB which will hopefully mention the filming.

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ

I followed the Roger Edward HUNTER route after you mentioned the possibility of the DFC. He is the only "Roger" listed in Honour the Air Force.

Good luck with your research

A