Thread: The Case of the 'Ghost' Lancaster, 12/3/45

Thanks

Default The Case of the 'Ghost' Lancaster, 12/3/45

Hello One & All,

can anyone shed any light on a mysterious crash in Germany of a Lancaster, supposedly of 103 Squadron, on the evening of 12 March 1945?

According to Luftwaffe records, a Lancaster III crashed at 21.01 hours on the 12th March, 2 km. east of Schei, 18 km. east of Varel. The Lancaster was 99% destroyed and no crew members were found on board. On the fuselage was the code PM-A.

Well, as far as I can see, this relates to no known loss...!

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

99% destroyed, yet the fuselage codes were readable?
    ME449 coded PM-T was lost on 12th March but different location. Donald Morris the rear and F/Sgt Porter (RAAF) the mid upper gunners are buried at Tarm, Jutland.

Is it possible you have been given the wrong date?

Thanks

Dear Kevin, dear RodM,

the date is correct, but the crash occured at Schwei NNW Ovelgönne not Schei.

The german report indeed gives the code PM-A but this may be mistaken from BM-E.

The a/c was totally destroyed so there could have occured some error in reading or reconstructing the code. There are a lot of cases where such mistakes were made.

cheers

Steve

Thanks

Thanks, Mosquito, BM-E was NG233 of 433 Squadron, I believe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
    the date is correct, but the crash occured at Schwei NNW Ovelgönne not Schei.

The german report indeed gives the code PM-A but this may be mistaken from BM-E.
    Hi Mosquito, KelvinW4,

thanks for the replies.

KelvinW4, the 99% related, I believe, more to salvageability - 81-99% indicating the the aircraft was a complete write-off, whereas 100% was usually reserved to aircraft that were completely unrecoverable (i.e. not on friendly territory, in the sea, etc).

Mosquito, firstly, thanks for the spelling correction ('finger trouble on my part!). How sure are you of the identity of BM-E? BM-E was seen from land to crash into the sea some 285 km NW of Schwei, and was claimed shot down by a night fighter at 21.27 hours, in the Kattegat, S. of Hov (Planquadrat NA-8).

Cheers

Rod

Thanks

Hi,

Lancaster NG233 BM-E is identified, based on the finding of F/O Arthur V. Plante, washed ashore on Danish coast.

Refer to:

http://www.flensted.eu.com/1945025.shtml

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Not sure how relevant this is but the 6-Group ORB's confirm that 4 lancasters from 433 Squadron were amoung the A/C that participated in a mine laying operation in SILVERTHORN area. 1 A/C lost: NG233 "E" piloted by F/O. J.P. Farrell (J.39529). "Fighter flares were observed in the garden area and along the return route as far as the West Coast of Dennmark. Some aircraft were reported shot down on the return journey after exchanges of tracer fire."

Jim