Thread: 230 Sqdn Sub attack 28/05/1942

Thanks

Default 230 Sqdn Sub attack 28/05/1942

Hi All,

Would anyone have the ORB entry for 28/29th May 1942, 230 Squadron/Aboukir.

I have a logbook entry for 230 Squadron on that date, pilot F/O Howell flying Sunderland L5806 and remarks column states 'sub attacked'. Furthermore the attack was at night so it may have been the case that no debris was seen.

uboat.net has the loss of U-568 on 29th May 1942 quite near Aboukir but they have no recorded attacks on 568 therefore I wondered if that attack was the fatal one.

I was in the process of e-mailing the uboat.net website but decided to try to have a look at the ORB entry first.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

Default U-boat Attack

Extract from my book 'Hunt Like A Tiger':

'On 28 May F/O Howell was patrolling in L5806:Q when an enemy submarine was sighted crash-diving on the port bow. Howell attacked with four 250lb AS bombs and four 250lb DCs and a large explosion was seen causing a large waterspout ahead of the wake of the U-boat. A large patch of oil and foam, 100 yards in diameter appeared and the submarine was assessed as possibly damaged.'

This extract is based on information from the F540.

This attack was not on the U-568. Clay Blair in his book 'Hitler's U-boat War' gives the details that U-568 was attacked on 27 May successively by an RAF Blenheim, then by two destroyers, Hurworth and Hero. Then further attacks were made by the destroyers Eridge and Hero. Preuss surfaced U-568 ahead of the Eridge about midnight which fired on the U-boat. Preuss dived, surfacing again at 0400. Once again the three destroyers sighted him. Preuss finally scuttled U-568 and he and forty six others were picked up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks Tom,

I just ordered your book yesterday so should have it by tomorrow or the day after. I have many log entries of U-Boat attacks so I am looking forward to reading it with keen interest.

Many thanks again,

Russ