Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/O Don Edy, RAF, 33 Squadron

Thanks

Default P/O Don Edy, RAF, 33 Squadron

I have been contacted by a relative of this gentleman, who is still with us. They are interested in more details about the aircraft he was flying when shot down on 23 January 1942, in North Africa. His log book records the aircraft Hurricane "3822". He was taken prisoner. In particular, they would like to know the full serial and code, and the eventual fate of the aircraft, if known. Thery believe it was reasonably intact after the forced landing.

He has apparently just released a book of his war time memories, I will try to get more information if anyone is interested.

Edit: P/O Edy was RCAF. Can't figure out how to change the heading of this post.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 27th March 2010 at 22:54. Reason: added last line

Thanks

Bill,
    Useless information to you but, i'm tearing out what hair i have left, because somewhere amongst my mountain of paper files in my attic, i know i have the 33sqdn ORB pages for this period from research i did some years ago for a relative (in USA)of Lance Wade of 33sqdn, but i can't find them!!!
    Last edited by AlanW; 28th March 2010 at 11:04.

Thanks

Allan/Bill,
    Can't find an RCAF P/O EDY as PoW in my files. TSGNO indeed has a F/Lt D.L. EDY - "J/5034" (from London, Ontario) as PoW with PoW Nr. 2570.
    Svcnr J/5034 however was assigned to F/Lt (Nav) G.L. COURT (PoW L3/80826) PoW 3-6-1944 on Lancaster ND507 of 405 Squadron.
    Only can find a Hurricane serial 3822 as "P"3822; this aircraft was SOC 21-3-1942 (instead of 23-1 !!) with 451 Squadron, at that time based Sidi Azeit, Egypt with a detachment at Nicosia.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Alan, Lance Wade was reported to be the section leader on the mission where Edy was shot down. Henk, I should have mentioned that Edy was a F/L when he demobbed. He must have been promoted while a POW.

Thanks

Bill,
    Another problem is that F/Lt's COURT and EDY have same svcnr J/5034 in TSGNO pages 867 and 869 !
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

According to the Air Force PoW Index on this website,
    Camp POW No Surname Initials Unit A/C Serial Service No Force Date of Loss
    L3 2570 Edy D L J/5034 RCAF

Would this chap have been a relative?
    Name: EDY, ALLEN LAIRD
    Initials: A L
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 457 (R.A.A.F.)
    Date of Death: 05/12/1941
    Service No: 41566
    Awards: D F C
    Additional information: Son of John Curtis Harrington Edy and Minnie Louise Edy, of St. Andrews, Manitoba, Canada.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Service Plot. Grave 1.
    Cemetery: ANDREAS (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD

Edit: I just checked as I was surprised that he appeared to be buried back home in St AndrewS, Manitoba.
    However, the Andreas, St AndreW is on the Isle of Man.
    If this is a relative, it might help others trace what happened to him.
    Last edited by KevinW4; 28th March 2010 at 16:16.

Thanks

Default 43rd oerational mission of P/O Don Edy

The evening of 22nd January S/L Derek Gould gave last instructions to 4 pilots for the next mission for tomorrow morning...

The 23rd January 1942, P/O Don Edy took off at 07.30 AM (in P3822)(his 43rd & last operational mission) for a recco battle area with 3 other pilots: F/L Cloete & Sgt Stammers, the first pair, and P/O L C Wade (Z4251) who was the leader of the second pair.

After 20 minutes flying, Don Edy saw some dust clouds ahead, He thought maybe it was some take off of 109. The orders were clear: no fight with 109. Suddenly Wade climbed at 1000 ft, it was difficult to Don Edy to follow him with his old Mk I. At first, Edy thought that Wade wanted to attack, finally Wade circled during 3/5 minutes, to be sure it was not 109 and to understand it was a column of German trucks. Wade made an attack followed by Edy, At the first pass Wade touched a gas truck which exploded when Edy was almost over it. They made 3 pass surrounded by the fire of the Flak (20 mm) posted at the back of some trucks, the sky was thick with little black puffs of smoke. At the third pass the old Mk I of Edy received 2 bullets one in the radiator, another in the engine.

To difficult to fly, Don Edy made a successful belly landing, at the same time L C Wade was circling around him to protect. Some minutes after the wheels and flaps of his hurricane were down, but the ground was too rough to land and pick up Edy. After some times, Wade waved to Edy to say he was sorry to come back. At his comeback, P/O Wade has written: P/O EDY Missing, believed POW.
    Many souffan
    12 rue Lahire
    F-75013 Paris, France

Tel (33) 145 849 904
    Tel (33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com
    aces.redactions@orange.fr

Thanks

D.L. EDY was from London, Ontario.
    A.L. EDY - DFC - was 457 Sqn and killed on Spitfire P7502 in a crash near Lezaye, Isle of Man.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks, Henk.
    They don't appear to be related, except by name.

Thanks

Default Don Edy

Donald Leslie Edy, RCAF.

/John