Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, I do not wish to be forward but.....

Thanks

Default Ladies and Gentlemen, I do not wish to be forward but.....

What was a Grope? My W.Op/AG uncle who trained with 28 OTU and 1657 HCU and ultimately served with 199 Squadron in 1943, has recorded in the back of his log book that he "undertook" 3 Gropes. He recorded "Bombing to Emden -successful", " Bombing to Rotterdam - successful" and "Bombing to Duisberg - unsuccessful : ditched off Dutch coast".

From the dates of these entries, this would appear to have happened at OTU. I assume this must have been some form of simulation exercise as these details are recorded away from the main OTU, HCU and Squadron flight information at the front of his log book.

Douglas

Thanks

"....... I assume this must have been some form of simulation exercise......"
    Sounds more like a sTimulation exercise!!! Perhaps this was the back row of the cinema?

Thanks

I wonder ... a Coastal Forces MTB veteran I was talking to once referred to a night patrol as a 'grope', which was the cue for another veteran to explain the joke as it meant 'meaning fumbling around hopefully in the dark'. Possibly just a slang term for a night mission?

Perhaps there is more to it and someone can flesh out the story ...

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

GrOpE - Ground Operational Exercise

A brief description in Harris's Despatches

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jzzl8wUn52cC&pg=PA167&dq=%22ground+op erational+exercise%22+grope&hl=en&ei=vUWuS43ILo-w4QbY1KDNDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=2&ved=0CEMQ6wEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22 ground%20operational%20exercise%22%20grope&f=false

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Douglas,

There's a file in the NA that might help - AIR10/3455 "Crew procedure trainer (Grope)". Not very helpful I appreciate but it might trigger someone's memory.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has responded to the initial question. I would also have been disappointed if there was not at least one message following the line that KevinW4 took!!

Best wishes

Douglas