Thread: Correct spelling of RAF and NZ pilots (n130 squadron)

Thanks

Default Correct spelling of RAF and NZ pilots (n130 squadron)

Hi,

Benjie Brown, Blackstonne, Russel (NZ), Jimmy Simpson, Willy Williams were with n130 (Punjab) squadron in spring 1943.

Does anybody could correct and put their correct names and forenames ? (I have not the copy of the ORB for 1943.)

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Default 130 sqn pilots

I am not sure whether there were more than one pilot called Brown, which is a common name on 130 sqn in Spring 1943.
    Certainly P/O Neville Elston Brown VR141705 flew with them in 1943 and eventually reached F/L by 1945.
    S/L Maurice Edward Blackstone VR72257 was with 130 sqn before leading 165 sqn where he was awarded the DFC, the Valuable Service in Air Medal and AFC. He was also awarded the King Haakoon V11 Freedom Medal.
    While with the 3(Handling Sqn) at Manby on 19-3-51 was killed aged 31 in Hastings C2 WD478 on take off and is buried at Petersfield Cemetery, Hampshire.
    Thanks for your previous help,
    Roy

Thanks

Thanks Roy for these details on RAF pilots. Anything about the NZ pilot "Russel"

Bertrand

Thanks

Default NZ aircrew

Bertrand
    The expert on New Zealanders is Errol Martyn. You can find him on the members list and send him a private message. I know hes a busy lad so might not pick up on this thread. He has some fabulous books about all New Zealand aircrew from WW2 who died (which I have just obtained) which should have this guys details...
    In the meantime the following might mention some of them:
    Black Swan: A History of 103 Squadron R.A.F. (Hardcover)
    by Sid Finn (Author) - available on Amazon.
    Also try:
    RAF Elsham Wolds Association - (103/576 Sqns) - Membership - J MacKay, 18 Carr Lane, Escrick, York, North Yorks, YO19 6JQ: 01904 728566
    web http://elshamwolds.50g.com/
    Good luck and can you tell us more about why you are interested in these particular gentlemen? We might be able to think outside the box and get you more information.
    Dee

Thanks

Hi Dee,

I have been in touch with Errol in the past but I think he is not in front of his computer these last days.

My request is about a picture of pilots of 130 sqdn that I will includ in a forthcoming work on 341 sqdn Alsace. Some pilots of this Free French squadron had previously served with 130.

Bertrand

PS : by the way, it's 130 Sqdn, which was a fighter unit, not 103, a bomber one.

Thanks

Hello,

In "By such Deeds" by Curtis HANSON and published by Errol, there are a few RUSSELLs listed :
    -W/O Edmund John, a post-war aircraft technician (born 1945 !), BEM
    - F/L Grant Alan, navigator bomb aimer with No. 75 Squadron, DFC
    - Sgt Herbert, first world war, twice mentioned in despatches
    - F/L Ian Wellsted, served in the Pacific, MiD
    - F/L John Fairfax, served in the Pacific, ED and MiD
    - Sgt John Stanley, ground crew, BEM
    - F/Sgt Leslie Plimmer, Defiant air gunner, Battle of Britain clasp, KIA 20th May 1942

So none of them qualify for service with No. 130 Squadron in 1942-43.

Looking at "For Your Tomorrow volume 3" by Errol, none of the RNZAF casualties with the surname of Russell match the same criteria.

So he apparently wasn't killed and didn't receive an award.

Really up to Errol Martyn or David Duxbury, or an expert about No. 103 Squadron...

Joss

Thanks

Bertrand,

I'm afraid that there are just too many Russell names to choose from, and that I cannot tell from my records which was the one with 130 Sqn.

Errol

Thanks

Default Jimmy Simpson 130 Sq.

This could be Peter James Simpson (41875), although he left 130 Squadron in January 1943.

/John