Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomber Command Losses 21-22 June 1944

Default Bomber Command Losses 21-22 June 1944

Dear all,

I am looking for information about the crash location, time of crash and cause of loss of the following Bomber Command heavies on 21-22 June 1944:

-61 Sqn Lancaster JB351 (location & time of combat with night fighter in which it was severely damaged?)
    -44 Sqn Lancaster LL938
    -49 Sqn Lancaster LL900
    -49 Sqn Lancaster NE128
    -59 Sqn Lancaster NN696
    -83 Sqn Lancaster JB180
    -619 Sqn Lancaster LL808
    -619 Sqn Lancaster LL977
    -619 Sqn Lancaster NE151

Any details greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Theo

Theo

From Bill Chorley's Bomber Command losses 1944 : -

61 Sqn Lancaster JB351

Badly shot up by a night fighter, landed Woodbridge 0250 and hit and wrecked shortly after by a 214 Squadron Fortress making an emergency landing.

44 Sqn Lancaster LL938

No details of crash site

49 Sqn Lancaster LL900

Crashed in geneal area of Julich-Mersch after being shot down by night fighter. BBC correspondent was also on board

49 Sqn Lancaster NE128

No details of crash site

59 Sqn Lancaster NN696

Attacked by night fighter and crashed West of Gelsenkirchen. N.B. recorded as 57 Sqdn.

83 Sqn Lancaster JB180

No details of crash site but reported to have been picked up by a night fighter over the target area (Wesseling).

619 Sqn Lancaster LL808

No details of crash site

619 Sqn Lancaster LL977

Outbound, hit by flak in the vicinity of Aachen

619 Sqn Lancaster NE151

No details of crash site

I hope this is of some use.

Best wishes

Douglas

A Casualty Repatriation File exists for two RAAF airmen of LL808 and LL928 but neither had been digitalized, and so they are not available online.

They may have more precise data about the precise crash location.

Theo,
    This is what I've on file:
    JB351 - damaged by night fighter; landed Woodbridge, Suffolk 02.50h. Short thereafter hit by landing Fortress SR381 of 214 Sqn also directed to Woodbridge due to battle damage.
    LL938 - Hit by flak, crashed Elsdorf-Oberembt, 9 km W of Bergheim (Rheinland).
    LL900 - Outbound hit by night fighter and crashed 1 km W of Güsten, 7 km NE of Jülich.
    NE128 - No info on crash location.
    NN696 - Possibly shot down by Ju 88 of 7./NJG2 (Uffz Johann Werther ?); crashed near Schalbruck-Havert (Selfkant), NE of Sittard, W of Geilenkirchen - 01.24h.
    JB180 - Shot down by night fighter 4 km NNE of Geilenkirchen.
    LL808 - No info on crash location.
    LL977 - Outbound hit by flak at 17,000ft in the Aachen area; bomber exploded.
    NE151 - Crashed near Heinsberg SW of Mönchengladbach.
    Hope this info is helpful.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Theo,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow' Vol Two. Doesn't add anything regarding location but the crew composition was unusual and may be of passing interest:

'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Three: Biographies & Appendices)'
    44 Squadron, RAF (Dunholme Lodge, Lincolnshire - 5 Group)
    Lancaster I LL938/S - took off at 2325 on same raid as the above, and brought down over Germany, crashing about 9km west of Bergheim near Oberembt, where the captain, RCAF air bomber and RAF air gunner were buried in the military section of the municipal cemetery. They were later transferred to the American Military Cemetery in the Netherlands at Margraten, 8km ESE of Maastricht, and finally reinterred at Nederweert, 5km NE of Weert. The USAAF wireless operator is commemorated on the Walls of the Missing at Margraten. The remaining three were all taken prisoner. This crew combination - consisting of one each of the RAAF, RCAF, RNZAF and USAAF, and three of the RAF - was almost certainly unique amongst those shot down during the war.
    Captain: NZ417140 Plt Off Russell WOOD, RNZAF - Age 23. 499hrs. 3rd op.

Errol

Dear Theo
    I think that Henk is more accurate that my information but I thought I would throw this ito the melting pot.

"83 Squadron 1917-1969" Low and Harper ISBN 1 900604 05 1
    21/06/44 Lancaster JB180 OL-H 426hrs

S/L AR Dunn DFC
    F/O S Boyle DFM
    F/O GW Fairweather DFC
    F/O H Spencer
    Sgt TN Usher
    F/O DL Cramp DFC
    F/S DG Scarff

All buried Rheinberg War Cemetery
    Crash location: Rheinberg (This is where Henk is probably more accurate)
    Sortie details: Ten aircraft to Wesserling

It may iterest you to read that Low & Harper have listed F/Lt RA Walker DFC who was lost on the same raid in Lancaster ND551 OL-V as being "shot by Gestapo and cremated". They have over a page of A4 on the death of Walker, but no further details of the loss of Dunn and his crew.
    I hope this helps
    Best wishes
    James

Default 61 Sqn Lanc JB351

Hi Theo

At home, as my first interest is 214 Sqn, I've got a copy of the Woodbridge ORB sheet for that night when one of their Fortresses chopped the Lanc in half. I think the Lanc was coded 'QR-R' but can check that. I can dig it out and send you a copy if you like. It was quite a hairy few moments as a couple of other planes piled-in nearby within a few minutes after this crash. All of this is a big reason for probably choosing to look at goings-on at Woodbridge for my next 'project'.

Unfortunately I have nothing about the Lanc's earlier combat with a night fighter, which is what you've actually asked for.

Please excuse any delay in replying. Got big internet connection problems at home at the moment (writing this from still at work) and may have to change service provider so it could be awkward if you want to catch me for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Ian

ps Have got the memory stick for your copy reports. Just need to get the time to copy them over and post it off to you. Maybe over the Easter break if I can.

Wonderful chaps to see so many useful and quick replies! I'll database all these additional details and will try & get the RAAF files from Canberra on the two RAAF crew members, once I will have a faily complete picture I will make a balanced matching between the losses & German Nachtjagd claims for this night, for the NJWD 2nd edition.

And Henk, I think that there is no real match between the Werthner claim at 01.24 and the loss of NN696 (Uffz. Johann Werthner: 6 7./NJG2 Lancaster Wesel-Bottrop area (KO): 5.400 m. 01.24) as the Grid Square KO is too far away from the crash location of this Lancaster. A better match would seem to be
    Oblt. Werner Baake: 31 2./NJG1 Lancaster (W.) Aachen: 5.300 m. 01.22
    Cheers, Theo

Hi Ian,

Sorry to read about your computer problems, hope this will all be solved ASAP! And looking forward to receiving the memory stick with the docs in due course.

Cheers, Theo

Theo,

I did some research in this area and found:

JB180 crashed at Tripsrath-Geilenkirchen cause crash unknow..
    NN696 crashed at Schalbruck-Havert by Nightfighter?
    NE151 crashed near Heinsberg

i,m doing research after this three planes, if you have more info....

Wishes, Michel