Thread: RAF Signal codes

Thanks

Default RAF Signal codes

Hi Forumites;

A researcher I am in contact with is looking into the crash of an aircraft in 1942. He has received some details from Hendon, but is trying to "decifer" some information they provided. Does anyone have any idea as to what the following means??

"" The Form1180 mentions a file G17080, Signal A77 and Form 765C no 176 0/1 195 and a few other bits and pieces but doesn't make too much sense...any idea what ILGC ACF POM POL EOK UOK XOK WOK mean?""

T. i.a.

AndyWis

Thanks

Hi Andy,

From my own limited experience; G17080 is the original reference for the investigation file. Form 765C is part of the paperwork for that investigation. I do know that the Air Historical Branch holds copies of the 765's but they seem to be rather stingy with information even for relatives. They will provide summaries of the information but no copies of the form itself.

As for the acronyms these are tick-box or prompts for completion on the Form 1180 as to cause and the like. Unfortunately no-one - including the RAF Museum - seem to know now what all of them actually mean. There was a thread on the meanings of these recently and they seem to relate to the aircraft condition, i.e. EOK = Engine OK, UOK = Undercarriage OK, etc.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6067

As your accident occurs in 1942 you may strike lucky and find a copy of the investigation summary in AVIA 5 of the National Archives, some of which can be quite detailed.

HTH,

Jeff
    Last edited by RecklessRat; 2nd April 2010 at 21:24. Reason: Found the thread

Thanks

Hello Jeff,

You mention AVIA 5 file at Kew. I thought this series was only about civil aircraft accidents. Do you confirm R.A.F. aeroplane accidents are also covered in it ?

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Yes, AIVA 5/19 to AVIA 5/23 include some (Not all) RAF aircraft accidents from the War period. Each file folder includes many reports which vary from a single half-of-A5 sized summary of the investigation through to quite exensive notes covering multiple pages; for example the report on the crash of Whirlwind P7008 which killed P/O Milligan of 263 Squadon is very thorough and includes various notes, photographs of the reassembled wreckage, and even blue-prints of the aircraft showing the proposed structural failure which caused the aircraft to break up (Failure of the fuselage ahead of the cockpit and above the wings).

Most unfortunately almost all the files for 1944 are missing, having been destroyed by a V2 rocket strike. In my particular case the AHB were unable to provide anything beyond a reference to the RAF Museum for the 1180 and some very brief notes taken from the Form 765C which they hold.

The TNA catalogue for AVIA 5 is very good in this instance; in almost all cases the Aircraft type including serial, location, and date (month/year) are listed. Drawing one typical example at random for AVIA 5/20,

AVIA 5/20 Type: Hurricane (Z-2494); Location: Martlesham; Report No.: W1012 1941 Apr

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?fldLettercodeRef=AVIA&fldClassRe f=5&fldSearchNumber=211050&fldInvert=0&SearchInit= 6

Although they don't contain every accident report, as I said to Andy it's certainly worth a shufti just on the off-chance that it's in there.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks

Hello Jeff

Thanks for your detailed explanation. While I'm obviously interested in wartime operations (and losses), I'm currently researching a January 1946 crash in France.

We have written to the AHB in January 2010 and are still awaiting their answer.

So this AVIA 5 file might possibily offer some information.

Cheers

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss, yes I can confirm that in AVIA 5 you can find interesting info also about the RAF crashes but to be honest it is quite a lottery - I found there only a few accidents I was interested in but in these cases it was worth to spend my time!

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello,

I've quickly browsed the AVIA 5 files from 19 to about 32, but "my" crash is not covered. But I've found at least one in my area which occured in June 1945. I'll get back to the catalogue to copy and paste in a spreadsheet so I can have a better look of the content of the hundreds of reports.

Again thanks for this tip.

joss