Thread: Inter-Command W/T Station, Malta?

Thanks

Default Inter-Command W/T Station, Malta?

My grandfather's service record (Spitfire pilot at Takali on Malta during 1942) has a cryptic posting to a "I/C/W/T Station" on 31.4.43. What is strange about this is that at the time he was serving a prison sentence following a Field General Courts Martial.

I had previously asked on these boards for assistance in identifying the station, but to no avail.

However, thanks to research at the NAA by Bruce Dennis (an active member of these boards and research agent) I have by accident discovered the answer. Through reading an extract of "Location of Units in the Royal Air Force" (I was looking for details on Takali Station) I stumbled onto the "Inter-Command W/T Station" located at Kalafrana, Malta, which matches the service record abbreviation.

Also located at the Station were No. 52 Embarkation Unit and Maintenance Wing (Malta).

What was the role and function of the Inter-Command W/T Station? And what possible role (if any) could an imprisoned Sergeant (now LAC) Pilot serve there?

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Default I/C W/T Station Kalafrana

Adrian,
    Firstly, I don't know what this W/T station actually did.
    Secondly, I think the 3 Services maintained their own separate Comcens on the island.
    Thirdly, anything to do with comms in WW2 that had in its title "Inter Service", or "Inter Command", was often (but not exclusively) dealing with "Y Service", Bletchley type activities, or Intelligence gathering of one sort ot another. True Comms "jointery" took several more decades to achieve in practice!
    Fourthly, I would think yr man would be i/c Bogs & Drains. There's no point in keeping someone in a military prison on Malta without him being made to earn his keep! Removing 'A Blockage' in 'The System' during a Malt Summer would definitely breach his Human Rights - and may even be outwith the Geneva Convention!!!!!!!!! If you can't do the time, then don't commit the crime (Source - amongst others - Fletcher in "Porridge").
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 3rd April 2010 at 12:29. Reason: spelling
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

And you may be right about him being put into service doing something constructive, as he was granted 2 months remission on the sentence due to good behaviour.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)