Thread: A letter from the G. Q. Parachute Co. Ltd. A misterious "emergency descent"

Thanks

Default A letter from the G. Q. Parachute Co. Ltd. A misterious "emergency descent"

Good morning,

I am looking for more informations about a letter, kindly provided me from the brother of a RAFVR navigator whose plane crashed on the Western Alps during November, 1943. This story refers to this topic,

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6390

I am currently writing my essay about this crew, and I found this misterious letter from the G. Q. Parachute Co. Ltd, Woking, Surrey, dated 3rd January 1943.
    The letter states that this navigator, Flight Sergeant Eric Walter Lawrence (1392140 RAFVR, born in Colchester, Essex) made a "successful emergency parachute descent" on the 8th August, 1943. After this launch, he was created member of the "G. Q. Club" and awarded with the n.189 Gold Badge.
    This letter is signed by the founder and chairman, Sir Raymond Quilter.

I would really like to understand more about that. An "emergency descent" means, in my opinion, that Flight Sgt. Lawrence was obliged to quit a plane, for unknown reasons.

Is it possible to understand why, and where? What did it happen on the August, 8th?
    It would be very interesting for my book. Unfortunately, neither his brother (who provided this letter to me) knows more.

Thanking you all with regards,

Marco

Thanks

Marco,
    If your man was with 142sqdn on 8/8/43 at the time of his bale out, i will get back to you later, as i have the 142sqdn ORB and will have a look through it.
    Alan.
    Wellington HE586, target beaches at Cap Peliro (not sure of handwritten spelling). Crew were forced to bale out over Biserta because of lack of fuel, all safe.
    F/Sgt K.J. Turley, pilot.
    Sgt E.W. Lawrence, Nav.
    Sgt R.J. Pollard, W/Op.
    P/O K.J. Strong, A/B.
    Sgt J.E. Wood, A/G.
    Last edited by AlanW; 3rd April 2010 at 13:54.

Thanks

Thanks Alan!,

it would be precious.

I have been quite surprised to see that this firm still exists, also working for the ejection system of the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Thanks

Marco,
    I've edited my original answer with the details. Do you want anything for the November loss of this airman and crew.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 3rd April 2010 at 14:06.

Thanks

Dear Alan,

Thanks very much. Very interesting. This history continues to show new hidden details, new fascinating discoveries.

I already have all the most important datas concerning the LN466 (ORBs, crew datas and so on) but I would be pleased to see whatever more you'd find, of course.
    Instead, it would be interesting to find more about this HE856, if possible.

Edited at 16.40:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_del_Faro

I suppose this to be your target, Alan: Capo Peloro, or "Punta del Faro", near Messina. On the Strait of Messina.

I just have a problem. While the original letter from the G. Q. Parachute Co. Ltd. is dated 3rd January 1943, the emergency jump over Biserta happened the Aug. 8, 1943. There must be a mistake somewhere, I suppose in the G. Q. Parachute Co. letter. Maybe they wanted to type "3rd january 1944". Could it be?
    Last edited by Marco; 3rd April 2010 at 14:43.