Thread: LAC Allam Frederick J 540542 DFM

Thanks

Default LAC Allam Frederick J 540542 DFM

LAC Allam Frederick John 540542 DFM 110 Sqdn died on 11/05/1940 over Belgium. Is there someone who can tell me why and when he got his award ?
    Thanks already

Thanks

Flight magazine contains this award:
    magazine dated MARCH 21, 1940
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1940/1940%20-%200867.html?search=allam

Awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal
    Sgt. William Joseph CRONIN, Sgt. Frank MILLER, Sgt.
    Alexander Cameron THOMAS, Sgt. David PENNINGTON, L.A/C.
    Sidney CULVER, L.A/C. George HAWKINS, A/C. 1st Class Henry
    Arthur George FERRE, A/C. 1st Class Frederick John ALLAM.
    Several of the above are described as skilful observers and navigators. One is decorated for good work in a raid on Wilhelmshaven, when his aircraft scored a direct hit on a German battleship, and for his conduct in the 25-minute engagement over the North Sea on January 10 between nine Blenheims and five Messerschmitt 110s. Among the air gunners, one receives the D.F.M. for cool and effective handling of his gun during the engagement of
    January 10, in which his aircraft occupied a dangerous position.
    Another has set a splendid example of valour and fortitude. He has shown zeal, ability and devotion to duty. A wireless operator among the recipients was the first member of his squadron to carry out a second reconnaissance over enemy territory, flying in intense
    cold to nearly maximum endurance of the aircraft and over strongly defended zones. His ability had a very good effect on the aircraft crews when the squadron had suffered heavy losses.

London gazette contains:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34807/pages/1394

Awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal.

365686 Sergeant William Joseph CRONIN.
    364705 Sergeant Frank MILLER.
    511772 Sergeant David PENNINGTON.
    562997 Sergeant Alexander Cameron THOMAS.
    537273 Leading Aircraftman Sidney CULVER.
    510166 Leading Aircraftman George HAWKINS.
    540542 Aircraftman ist Class Frederick John ALLAM.
    551244 Aircraftman ist Class Henry Arthur George FERRE.

The above awards are for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default LAC Allam

Dennis ,

Thank you very much.
    Alain12

Thanks

Hi Alain . May I ask you where your interest for Allam ?

The Allam to which you ask is buried here in my native village Kaggevinne (Diest/Belgium). I did quite some detective work about this person.
    Kindest regards ,
    Luc

Thanks

May I ask you where your interest for Allam? The Allam to which you ask is buried here in my native village Kaggevinne (Diest/Belgium) I did quite some detective work about this person.
    Kindest regards ,
    Luc

Thanks

Hallo Luc ,

Since some years i'm doing some " amateur " research on the air war over Belgium , so that the reason why i was saerching info on this man , because according to me he was the first casualty over Belgium with a DFM.

Regards

Alain57

Thanks

Hello,

Here is the recommendation for Allam's DFM:

ALLAM, Frederick John. 540542 Aircraftman 1st Class, No.110 Sqn.
    L.G. 8/3/1942 - Air Gunner - Air2/4072.

This airman was the gunner of the leading aircraft of the section of three aircraft on the left of the formation of nine Blenheim aircraft from No.83 Wing, Wattisham, which on 10th January, 1940, when on their way to carry out a sweep in the North Sea, were attacked by five Me.110's. The enemy aircraft concentrated their attack on the two outside sections of the formation and Allam's position was therefore one of great danger and responsibility and repeated attacks were made on this section of which one aircraft was shot down during the engagement. Allam showed great coolness in the handling of his guns. Although the fast and more heavily armed enemy fighters continued their attack for 25 minutes, Allam had, by working his gun effectively throughout the engagement, greatly assisted in repelling the enemy attacks. I recommend this airman for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal. 5th February, 1940.

See:
    The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War with Official Recommendation Details. Vol.1 A-J.
    Tavender,Ian.
    London:Savannah,2000.
    p15

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th January 2016 at 03:41.