Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martinet HN962 Loss 21.04.44 650 Sqn

Thanks

Default Martinet HN962 Loss 21.04.44 650 Sqn

Hello All,

Another Martinet I am afraid, on 21.04.44 HN962 crashed into a hillside 2 1/2 miles North of Hoyle(?), Cumberland. Flt/Sgt SIGSWORTH, John Walter (1517415) lost his life along with the T.T.O. but does anyone know the winch operators name?

Any further help would be appreciated as always.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Tim

Sorry can't help you in this case, but wondering why you are interested in the Miles Martinet.. It is just such an obsure type and you seem very keen on getting all additional info on this type!. Not that I am critising you.. I think it is great you are digging in to this type.. Long overdue...

Kind Regards

Paul

Thanks

Tim

I have the location as Ghyll Farm, 5m East of Egremont and 4m N of Haile, OS ref 89/064111. No idea about the casualties.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hello Paul,

Very reasonable question due to my continued 'pleas for help'. I am currently compiling the RAF / FAA service histories of all production Martinets. My interest is due to my late Uncles connection with the aircraft (695 Sqn) although he perceived the whole second line Squadron posting as a waste of his good training. As part of the encapsulation of Martinet related information I am also trying to record a 'Roll of Honour' of all crew who paid the ultimate price during their very necessary duties, this is proving very time consuming but also very gratifying.

I have found this forum to be very welcoming but I am mindful that I do not over use this fine resource of information.

Hope you can understand my interest and I will keep plodding away until the last incident is recorded!

Kindest regards,

Tim

Thanks

DaveW,

Thank you for the confirmed location I have updated the file with your additional information.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks

The only info that I have is that the aircraft was operating from Cark (from the station ORB) and it was Millom who dealt with the crash, but there is nothing in their ORB.

April 21st 1944, “Martinet aircraft of 650 Squadron, Cark, crashed at Gyhll Farm, Haile, Cumberland, and two occupants (Pilot and TTO) were recovered – dead, by SSQ RAF Station Millom.”

I would go for http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1525694 for the TTO. Cpl George Arthur Hall, Drogue Operator, No.650 Sqn.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Alclark,

Thank you for your assistance you appear to have come up trumps, perhaps I am missing a trick is there a way of searching the CWGC site by date or Squadron?

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks

Tim

Geoff's search engine allows date and text search of cwgc database. I have not got a link but if you google "hut six" and cwgc you should get it. Also have you been contact with Peter Amos of Air Britain who is writing a 3 part history of Miles aircraft and producing full history of every Miles aircraft every bulky he has published the first one up to pre war and the next one will I think cover ww2

Paul

Thanks

Paul,

Thank you for the link it appears to work very well; I have not been in contact with Peter for many a year but will drop him a line this coming weekend.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Paul beat me to it, I was using Geoff's search engine.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/