Thread: 428 Squadron Middleton St George 1943

Thanks

Default 428 Squadron Middleton St George 1943

I am hoping for contacts from Ex 428 Sqn personnel who were stationed at Middleton St George during 1943. I would be very pleased if any information regarding the base and its day to day operations (even the mundain bits)that could help me flesh outthe lives of the crew below.

The crew below were lost without trace 22-23/9/1943 on the Hannover Raid.

Halifax V NA-LK635

F/O H.E.McRae RCAF KIA (Pilot)
    Sgt W.E.Dickson RCAF KIA
    Sgt E.G.MIller RCAF KIA
    Sgt D.E.Jeffery KIA
    Sgt A.R.Bohn KIA
    Sgt J.Wright KIA (my relative)
    Sgt L.Cotton KIA

I have searched the internet and my forums for information on this raid and subsequent loss but unfortuneatly any information is very scant. They are listed in "Chorleys" with the same info.

In the last couple of days I have had the pleasure of making contact with the brother of F/O H.E.McRae. He in the past tried to get information on the loss of his brother but again drew a blank. In his brothers service records this info was included:

"crash at SCHEFKOVEN has the following remarks: "Not yet investigated." and "Telecon this day (Flt/Lt Webb - Flt/Reider) established that Area Search Certificate for this Gemeinde reported a Halifax crash on 22-23.9.43. This case is still outstanding as far as investigation is concerned." Para 9. of the same document states the following: "It is very likely that when G. Section will investigate the crash at Schefkoven some facts will come to light which might associate this aircraft with that outstanding crash location."
    a copy of a No. 4 M.R.E.U. (Missing Research and Enquiry Service) dated 13.5.49 which sasys: "M.R.E.S. have failed to trace any buriel for this crew. Their names will be enrolled on the General Memorial to the missing. Case closed.

The place name of SCHEFKOVEN is untraceable (maybe someone could throw light on a likely place) Does info exist for operations? could it be possible for the likely route to and from the raid be located? this could give me a track to locate a town with a likely variation to SCHEFKOVEN. 428 lost two Hali's that night the crew of the other are buried in Becklingen War Cemetery but having tried to plot the 26 aircraft lost that night i am still no nearer to locating an area where LK635 could have come down.

I know that this is a complicated request for information but it is fascinating. I may never find them but it will not be for the want of trying.

Thanks in advance for any info given. Nick

Thanks

Default Schefkoven (Schafkoven ?)

Target was Hannover. Schafkoven/Donneresch (German postalcode 27751) is a northern suburb of Delmenhorst and could fit with the target Hannover.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default 428 Squadron Middleton St George 1943

Thank you Henk

It appears that the a/c that crashed at Schafkoven and was added as a note to McRae's records is not the a/c I am looking for. According to Chorley's book on losses for 1943 it was an a/c from 77 sqn. I know that there are many discrepences between British and German records but this one seems very sure. I will just have to keep looking or hope that some one with far greater knowledge than me replies.
    Many thanks
    Nick

Thanks

Hi Nick,

I have reason to believe that LK635 crashed at the Borsumer Pass near Algermissen. Algermissen is the only crash site of 22.9.43 near Hannover I couldn't clear up. But on the other hand LK635 is the only a/c I couldn't allocate to a crash site. Four unknown airmen are buried in Hannover War Cemetery 1.D.10-12 and 14. Their tombstones show the date 22.9.43. I have pictures of the graves. If you want, I will send them to you via email.

The brother of F/O H E McRae should get in contact with the CWGC and ask them about the first burial places of these unknown airmen.

It should be possible to find the exact crash site. Maybe an excavation of the a/c can bring true evidence. Maybe this case can be solved after all these years.

kind regards

Steve