Thread: Arthur Clouston DSO DFC AFC

Thanks

Default Arthur Clouston DSO DFC AFC

Hi guys

I've just been re-reading Arthur Clouston's THE DANGEROUS SKIES, and have three questions to ask as a result.

While a test pilot at Farnborough in 1940, he relates how he intercepted and shot down a He111 before probably destroying a Bf110. Can anyone point to a date and his possible victims?

Later (1943?) he took command of 224 Squadron flying Liberators. On an early sortie, one of his air gunners accidentally fired his guns inside the aircraft, wounding the rear gunner. Any further details? Date? Airmen involved?

Later still (1944?) one of 224's flight commanders attacked a submarine with rockets, only to find that it was a French sub and two French mechanics were killed in the attack. Again, date and further details required, please.

Perhaps someone has a copy of 224's ORB? If not, I will do a search when I next visit Kew.

Thanks in advance
    Brian

Thanks

Default 219 (Mysore) Squadron 1940

Hello Brian,

Regarding your 1940 question, Squadron Leader Arthur E. Clouston, a NewZealander, was attached to 219 Squadron (Blenheim/Beaufighter) during 1940 for A.I. (Airborne Interception) tests about to be introduced to the RAF night fighters. I have looked at a 219 Sqn diary which opens on the 1st August 1940 but cannot find any entries to help you. However, these actions may well have occured before August 1940 on 219 or another unit. Have you had a look at the "Air Combat Reports" available on line from the NAA? it may give you more clues.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 7th April 2010 at 18:15. Reason: adding "NewZealander"

Thanks

Default Clouston

Thanks Norman

But he was flying a Spitfire of RAE Farnborough when he intercepted the Heinkel and Bf110, possibly 15 September 1940.

Re question 3) I have since established that the 224 Squadron pilot who attacked the French submarine (Minerve) was S/L Ensor, on 10 October 1943.

Cheers
    Brian