Thread: Unit (aircraft) codes

Thanks

Default Unit (aircraft) codes

Hi All:

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I'm researching the Unit/Individual codes assigned to an aircraft from 1446 (Ferry Training) Flight.
    The aircraft (Wellington W5494) was being operated by a crew from 21 OTU (The parent Unit at Moreton - In - Marsh) when it crashed on the 22nd December '42. Would the aircraft have been wearing the codes of the Ferry Training Flight, or any markings from the OTU?
    I've gone through some Air Britain books on Unit markings, but can't find anything for the FT unit, and 21 OTU has three codes allocated, presumably there were three Flights, each Flight operating a particular type/class of aircraft. Any thoughts on that??...

Thanks, in advance,
    Andy Wis

Thanks

Hi Andy,

as far as I know the code always depends on the unit where aircraft attached, so FTF. But with the Ferry Training units it is quite hard if there were any codes at all...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Andy
    I don't know the code for the Ferry Training Flight but from Chorley's BCL Vol 8, this a/c was borrowed by the OTU from the Ferry Training Flight to allow one the OTU crews to carry out a map reading exercise towards the Welsh Borders, during which it flew into a hill near Bethesda. Chorley only records the a/c serial and the crew
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

The Air Britain book RAF flying Training and Support Units does not list any codes for 1446Flt. The book lists ED, SJ and UH for 21OTU.

Steve