Thread: Spitfires P8360 & P8362 27 Feb 1943

Thanks

Default Spitfires P8360 & P8362 27 Feb 1943

Can anyone provide any details of this collision please.

Regards

Chris.

Thanks

have you googled these:

http://www.luftwaffe.no/Table2.htm
    http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories/casuality_register-norway-1941-1945.pdf

27-02-43
    Training SPITFIRE II P8360/62 57 OTU, Eshott Morpeth Accident, Collision Air
    Sjt. Håkon Langseth Myhre (+)
    Practised formation flying.
    Cat E Cra/ near Eshott

His death is registered in Northumberland Central district, age 23. Vol 10b pg 532 of the register.

On the same page of the register is a 20 yar old Ronald C Bell, this matches the CWGC burial of P/O Ronald C Bell 412884 RAAF at Chevington Cemetery and sure enough, from Australian National Archives:

BELL Ronald Charles - (Pilot Officer); Service Number - 412884; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Spitfire IIA P8362; Place - Northumberland; Date - 27 February 1943

Might be no harm to order up that Casualty file to see what it tells you.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 7th April 2010 at 21:29.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    have you googled these:

http://www.luftwaffe.no/Table2.htm
    http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories/casuality_register-norway-1941-1945.pdf

27-02-43
    Training SPITFIRE II P8360/62 57 OTU, Eshott Morpeth Accident, Collision Air
    Sjt. Håkon Langseth Myhre (+)
    Practised formation flying.
    Cat E Cra/ near Eshott

His death is registered in Northumberland Central district, age 23. Vol 10b pg 532 of the register.

On the same page of the register is a 20 yar old Ronald C Bell, this matches the CWGC burial of P/O Ronald C Bell 412884 RAAF at Chevington Cemetery and sure enough, from Australian National Archives:

BELL Ronald Charles - (Pilot Officer); Service Number - 412884; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Spitfire IIA P8362; Place - Northumberland; Date - 27 February 1943

Might be no harm to order up that Casualty file to see what it tells you.
    This seems to be the crash I mentioned in the other post. Both aircraft crashed onto farmland at Eshott Home Farm. Both pilots buried initially at Chevington: Bell still there, Myhre repatriated to Norway after the war. No further information available seemingly.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Dennis & Robert,

Thank you, I have a possible site for one of these, but land has changed hands recently, It is difficult getting hold of the new owners to get access.

regards

Chris

Thanks

Default Crash investigation

Chris, you PM'd me asking where woudl you get the Crash Investigation report.

As I said in my reply, I'd put my reply on the board so they can advise if I'm right or wrong.

the page references refer to Bell's casualty report which is now online at the Australian National Archives.

"You have the crash investigation report in that collection of documents. From page 11 onwards you will note that the top right corner says Form 412, this is to the best of my knowledge the most detailed information you will get on a particular crash.

Form 1180
    Form 765
    Form 412

beyond those three I don't know what else there would be. If you try to place together the movements of the aircraft with maps then you might pin point something.

page 11, the Form 765, states 'by day 3 miles S S E of Eschott aerodrome.

page 10 gives a map reference:
    1" to 1 mile
    map ref Sheet 4 - 693177

I can see a place named as "Eshott Home Fm" on the modern Ordance Survey map on their website."
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,
    I think we have cross, wires here!
    Having cross referenced the crash report with local stories I am 99% certain of the exact location of both aircraft, I have accesss to the land from 3 different land owners to cover the Eshott area (including the lastest owner)

regards

Chris

Thanks

The Air Historical branch may hold some of these Form 765 and Form 412 investigations but since they are likely to be aportioning blame in many cases you will be doing very well to obtain them. A relative of an airman might get a copy of these but its possible that they will 'redact' them, that is remove airmens serial numbers and details of injuries they recieved.

The UK national Archives have some ccrash investigations under the AVIA series, always worth checking the online catalouge.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com