Thread: 24/12/1944 F/O.Campbell 257 Squadron

Thanks

Default 24/12/1944 F/O.Campbell 257 Squadron

Hi !

This pilot was killed on 24/12/1944 during a mission aboard his Typhoon 1b MN931 , reported to have been shot down by flak near Utrecht (The Netherlands).

This plane is not mentioned in the well-known Dutch list of all crashes for that country.

This pilot is buried at Heverlee, Belgium.

Any indication where this plane crashed ? Was it in Belgium ?

Many thanks and best regards from Belgium

Luc

Thanks

Hi Luc,
    P/O Alexander (Scottish Alasdair) Butchart CAMPBELL (186290), MiD LG 14.6.1945
    24.12.1944 had 146 Wing (193, 197, 263, 257, 266 Sqns) heavy lossess 5 Typhoons together.
    I havent got entry from ORB of 257 Sqn but you can look at 263 Sqns all three ones for that day (pages 271 and 276):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/laurieburley/jeff/orb.html -

... at 13.40 hours 4 aircraft take off on a long range fighter sweep of the Rhur area in company with some aircraft of 257 Squadron. They encountered some intense heavy flak over the Rhur, also some German jet planes but never got close enough to the latter to make an attack. Later at 15.20 hours another 4 aircraft take off, with some of 197 Squadron, on an armed recce east and west of Utrecht. 3 enemy M.T. were seen and straffed and 1 claimed damaged. F/Lt L. Unwin who has been with the Squadron since 18.9.43 was hit by flak after this attack and blew up...

15.20 An armed recce E. and W. of Utrecht. 3 scattered M.T. in Barnveld area A.R.S. Proctor, M.S.M. Hamilton were straffed at E.5094 and 1 claimed damaged. F/Lt. Unwin was hit
    by flak after this attack...

I think that sdbF W of Utrecht (NL) suits for the loss of F/Lt Unwin.
    Barneveld and Woudenberg where he is burried is just west of Utrecht and P/O Campbell was probably shot down somewhere near Heverlee. But where?

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Luc,
    Sorry! I made mistake!
    Barneveld and Woudenberg are EAST not west of Utrecht!
    My hypothesis is wrong...

Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,

Many thanks for your replies.

The distance from Utrecht to Heverlee is almost 190 kilometers.

Best regards

Luc

Thanks

Default Campbell crash location

I don't have 257's ORB to hand but, from notes I made some time ago, Campbell was reported having crashed while attacking MET 'near Utrecht'; the map ref 'E1457' was given for the MET (Mechanised Enemy Transport). The 2ndTAF Loss and Claim Log states 'MET attacked at E1457. Due flak'. The implication is that Campbell's aircraft crashed at or near this map reference - but it could have been some distance away if, for example he was hit at E1457 and then tried to head for base or allied territory.

'E1457' is at 'Opandel' (on the 1944 map), probably what appears as 'Andel' on current maps; it is about 7 kms south-east of Gorinchem, well south of Utrecht. I was once given a location as 'west of Utrecht' by MoD when this loss was one of dozens which remained obscure after refering to all publicly available sources.
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 11th April 2010 at 15:02. Reason: additional information

Thanks

Gents,
    I've an unconfirmed note that MN931 came down W of Recht what's NW of Sankt-Vith. This is way off the target area being Utrecht in the Netherlands, but could explain the burial location Heverlee.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Chris and Henk,

Many thanks for the info.

I have to investigate if the area of Recht was already liberated on 24/12/1944.

Perhaps one or another US document could supply additional information, as US troops were very active in that area.

Best regards

Luc