Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditching of un identified aircraft Dec 1942

Thanks

Default Ditching of un identified aircraft Dec 1942

Can anyone shed any light on the ditching of an unidentified aircraft from RAF Castleton near Wick on 12 Dec 1942. Also any info on which units were operating from Castleton at that time, I'm presuming that this was coastal command given its location. It would have been a multi engined aircraft as the chap I'm interested in was a Navigator.

Many thanks

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 6th April 2010 at 11:59. Reason: Wrong date 02 changed to 12 Dec 42

Thanks

Daz,

No.5(C) OTU lost an unidentified Beaufort on 2-12-1942. It failed to return from a night oversea navex.

The following 5(C) OTU losses are known:

1270737 Sgt Herbert William GOODMAN RAFVR +
    1270897 Sgt Harry NEWELL RAFVR +

Both commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Others might be able to add more.

Col.

Thanks

Col

Thanks for the info but thats not the one. The one I'm interested in has Sgt J Brophy RCAF aboard; he was awarded a Goldfish Club badge/certificate on this date and was at the time posted to Stn Castleton.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

RAF Castletown was mostly Fighter Command, according to RAF Web.

No. 610 Sqn was there at the time but they flew Spitfires. Are you sure it was from that base and wasn't just stopping in after being redirected?
    David

Thanks

The only unit I can find that meets at least some of your criteria, is:

ADVANCED SHIP RECOGNITION FLIGHT.

On 12.11.42 an Advanced Ship Recognition Course commenced at CASTLETOWN in No.29 Group with three Anson for medium and high altitude bombing of moving targets and ship recognition practice for RAF observers and navigators; 7.1.43 to SKEABRAE as Advanced Ship Recognition Flight; Became No.1476 (Advanced Ship Recognition)Flight 9.2.43

Aircraft: Anson I (K6184)

See: Royal Air Force Flying Training & Support Units/Sturtivant,Hamlin & Halley (1st ed.) p.43.

Col.

Thanks

Gentlemen

thank you for your suggestions. I think that he was part of the Ship Recognition Flight, the information that I have is as follows:

Sgt Brophy was an Air Observer and was at 7 PRC before moving to Stn Castleton in 04 Dec 1942. He has a Goldfish Membership card dated 12 Dec 42 and on 20 Dec 42 he moves from SR Flight to 78 Sqn.

Is there any way to ascertain what happened on 12 Dec 42 that required him to use his dinghy?

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Default Aircraft lost 2nd or 12th December 1942?

Hi Daz and Col

I note that the date has now changed from the original 2 December to 12 December? Just a thought, might Brophy have been aboard the Beaufort lost on 2 December?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian

well spotted, I had got the date wrong on my original post. His membership card states
    "has qualified as a member of the Goldfish Club by escaping death by the use of his Emergency Dinghy on December 12th 1942".

regards

Daz

Thanks

Further info received from Sgt Brophy's family confirm that he was part of the Ship Recognition Flight when he was awarded his Goldfish Badge. Does anyone know of a published source of info on the subject?

thanks

Daz

Thanks

Can anyone confirm that Air 29/870 would be the correct reference for the Operational Record Book that would hopefully cover Sgt Brophy's ditching. I am slightly confused as he was never actually assigned to that particular unit or would I be better off looking for a station record covering RAF Castleton?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Daz