Thread: A G Chelmick, 101 Squadron, Blenheim

Thanks

Default A G Chelmick, 101 Squadron, Blenheim

Guys,

The above named Sgt. with 101 Squadron was lost on 20th august 1940 and ended the war as a POW.

Can anyone tell me anything about him?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Ross' POW list has him at Stalag Kopernikus in Poland.

From The Other Few:the contribution made by Bomber and Coastal aircrew to the winning of the Battle of Britain - Blenheim L9419 of 101 Sqn, West Raynham, detailed to attack airfields, failed to return. Sgt. A.G. Chelmick, Sgt. J,. Carbine and Sgt. H. Martyn were all subsequently reported as being prisoners.

The 101 Sqn web site has his number as [742844].
    http://www.156squadron.com/101display_squadronlog.asp?yearz=1940&monthz=08

Nothing came up for him in the London Gazette, although there is a Squadron Leader by the name, so possibly a relative? (S/L Ernest CHELMICK 54202, RAF).

There is also another possible relative in Flight:

F 14151 1st Grade Air-Mech. A. H. Chelmick found on an honour roll 1917 as severely wounded.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1917/1917%20-%200198.html?search=Chelmick
    Last edited by dfuller52; 15th April 2010 at 19:27. Reason: corrected serial no.
    David

Thanks

Hello,

He was Alfred Gordon, service number 742844. He gives his place of capture as Paderborn, date 19th August 1940 in his PoW questionnaire. Same place and date for Harry Martyn 755769. I failed to find Carbine's PoW questionnaire at Kew.

Joss

Thanks

Whoops, thanks for catching that Joss, I misread the notation on the 101 Sqn web site. I have corrected my post.
    David

Thanks

Thanks Guys, this will get me on the right route.

Joss, Could you send me a copy of Chelmick's liberation questionaire, please, and l will have a hunt for Carbine's when next there. It will certainly save me a job. Chelmick was in the same hut, C2 5, as my Father in Fallingbostal.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Default A G Chelmick

I know it was a long time ago but have only just found this site. Both A G (known as Gordon) and Ernest are my uncles.
    Any chance of any info you have. I know Ernest was in Australia 1958 to 1960.
    Does any one have anything on either of them?
    Thanks I know its a long shot.

Thanks

Hello

I can e-mail you the digital pictures of Gordon's PoW questionnaire from the National Archives in Kew.

e-mail me (my e-mail address is in my profile, just click on my name in the upper left corner of this window to open my profile).

Joss

Thanks

Default A G Chelmick

Quote Originally Posted by NickFenton View Post
    Thanks Guys, this will get me on the right route.

Joss, Could you send me a copy of Chelmick's liberation questionaire, please, and l will have a hunt for Carbine's when next there. It will certainly save me a job. Chelmick was in the same hut, C2 5, as my Father in Fallingbostal.

Regards,

Nick
    I know it was a long time ago but have only just found this site. Both A G (known as Gordon) and Ernest are my uncles.

Thanks

Default A G Chelmick

Quote Originally Posted by dfuller52 View Post
    Ross' POW list has him at Stalag Kopernikus in Poland.

From The Other Few:the contribution made by Bomber and Coastal aircrew to the winning of the Battle of Britain - Blenheim L9419 of 101 Sqn, West Raynham, detailed to attack airfields, failed to return. Sgt. A.G. Chelmick, Sgt. J,. Carbine and Sgt. H. Martyn were all subsequently reported as being prisoners.

The 101 Sqn web site has his number as [742844].
    http://www.156squadron.com/101display_squadronlog.asp?yearz=1940&monthz=08

Nothing came up for him in the London Gazette, although there is a Squadron Leader by the name, so possibly a relative? (S/L Ernest CHELMICK 54202, RAF).

There is also another possible relative in Flight:

F 14151 1st Grade Air-Mech. A. H. Chelmick found on an honour roll 1917 as severely wounded.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1917/1917%20-%200198.html?search=Chelmick