Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt. R Charlesworth, 11 OTU, Wellington.

Thanks

Default Sgt. R Charlesworth, 11 OTU, Wellington.

Guys, another one for you.

I know this guy was lost on 7th august 1941 but the subsequent capture of him and his crew lead to the death of some Dutch civilians.

Can anyone enlighten me to the situation.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hello Nick,

I can't help about the death of Dutch Civilians, but he wrote in his PoW questionnaire that he was captured in the Schelde estuary on 7th August 1941, and doesn't mention anything about this subject. In the parts about evasions, he mentions that he took part in the digging of the tunnels in Sagan (the great escape) but was moved to another camp before completion.

Over to our Dutch members.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks Joss,

You could do me a great favour again by sending me a copy of the liberation questionaire.

Another favour l owe you.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hello Nick,
    Z8807 was hit by flak and crashed Stougiesdijk (dike) in the hamlet Graup, 5 km SE of Oud-Beijerland, about 06.30 hrs. Eight members of the Dutch Underground Movement tried to hide the crew; they were arrested and three of them imprisoned for a long term period. The remaiming five were executed by the Germans 19-9-1941. Their names:
    BARENDRECHT Bastiaan Arie
    HEUS Joris, de
    KRUIJTHOFF Pieter
    STEENSEL Arie, van
    STEL Arie, van der
    You'll find their names on the Dutch War Graves site http://www.ogs.nl/pages/home.asp
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello,

Nick, I've e-mailed you the 3 PoW questionnaires you asked.

Here are some details about Wellington Z8807, taken from No. 11 O.T.U. O.R.B. :

Form 540 :
    Bassingbourne 6-7/8/41 2205 to 0615 Nickel dropping over FRANCE - 2 Wellingtons operated - 1 carried out task successfully - other aircraft failed to return, last heard of 0615 hours (fix) approx over ROTTERDAM.

Form 541 :

Wellington Z8807 Sgt WAKLER and 5 crew (C Flight) Nickel dropping over FRANCE 6-7/8/41 2205 - AIRCRAFT MISSING.
    MSI - MUB 200 - detailed to carry out nickel dropping in area VENDOME (4747N, 0104E) to CHATEAUREUX (correct spelling is CHATEAUROUX) (4648N, 0142E). Failed to return to base. Aircraft last heard 0615 hrs (3rd class fix from HULL) approx position over ROTTERDAM. Nickels carried 12 packages Ref. EH(F)107. Bombs carried 2 x 250 lb GP T Inst. Weather - fine, cloud lifting from 2000' ASM to 6000' ASL Vis 5-7 miles.

The second Wellington was X9614 manned by Sgt BENNETT and 5 crew (C Flight) which took off at 2210 and landed at 0345, dropping nickels in area of Tours (4722N, 0042E) to Le BLanc (4638N, 0104E). 11 packages of nickels, the 2 250 lb GP bombs were dropped on CANY-BARVILLE (East of Fécamps) at 0150. bombs burst on taxy track south of aerodrome.

MacKENZIE wrote he landed at Bujerland (sic), Holland, around 6 AM. he was helped by Dutchmen for 12 hours but couldn't leave the island as the bridge was guarded by the Germans. He was picked up at 10PM by a German search party.

None of the other crewmembers gives details, and I haven't found WALKER's questionnaire.

Hope this helps.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 16th April 2010 at 18:30. Reason: typo

Thanks

Henk: Thank you for reminding us that the price of freedom was not just paid by military servicemen.
    There were many brave people prepared to risk everything to help. These paid the ultimate price and I will think of them tonight.
    We faced a ruthless enemy, and this reminds us of that.

I notice that the name Arie appears in three of those killed... is there any significance in that? Does it signify a family relationship or just co incidence?

Thanks

Hello Kevin,

That three of the killed men have the name Arie is just co incidence.The name Arie was a common name that time.

Mike

Thanks

Kevin,
    Agree with Mike.
    Regards and good weekend (sunny over here !).
    Henk.

Thanks

no problem, just wondered if there might be a story within a story, as it were.
    It is here also shining (a la Tony Hancock) and strangely quiet not far from Heathrow flight path!! Not even a contrail! Off to Kew Gardens tomorrow to enjoy it even more!!

Thanks

Thanks guys.

If l pick anything else up on this l will let you know.

regards,

Nick