Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Off Peter Wyatt-Smith, Malta 1941

Thanks

Default Fly Off Peter Wyatt-Smith, Malta 1941

Hi,

I'm trying to trace some details of Fly Off Peter Wyatt-Smith (41768) during his stay on Malta from January-May 1941.

I have been informed that he was shot down into the sea and eventually rescued by an MTB, or someother such patrol craft. It's possible that the craft was attacked by enemy aircraft as both Peter and the skipper of the craft were injured and hospitalised. It may be that Peter was injured when he was shot down.

I've had a look through Malta: The Hurricane Years by Shores/Cull/Malizia but it only mentions Peters arrrival in Malta.

Peter was posted to the Middle East in May 1941 and later joined 73 Squadron In October.

Any help appreciated,

Alex

Thanks

Alex,

It might also be worthwhile to try "CALL-OUT: a wartime diary of Air/Sea Rescue Operations at Malta" by Frederick R. Galea.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

I'm on a roll with referencing at the moment - nothing in Pitchfork's Shot Down And In The Drink.

Thanks

Hi Alex,

Brian Cull, in 'Hurricanes Over Malta' (p.309), mentions the following:

Appendix V (notes).

The six pilots (ferrying Hurricanes from Takoradi to Abu Sueir), were Flg Off C D Whittingham, Plt Offs P A Worrall, P Wyatt-Smith, J J Walsh, a Canadian, I R Currie and Sgt A H Deacon, all of whom ended up at Malta. It transpired that Ian Currie had contracted cerebral malaria at Takoradi, and died shortly after reaching the island. Wyatt-Smith also fell ill following his arrival in Malta.

Wyatt-Smith's arrival at Malta (20-1-1941), is mentioned on p.58.

See:
    Hurricanes Over Malta June 1940 - April 1942.
    Cull,Brian & Frederick Galea.
    London:Grub Street,2001.
    p.309

The above does not preclude him from being shot down. Perhaps Brian Cull can elaborate on Wyatt-Smith's activities at Malta.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th April 2010 at 22:30.

Thanks

Alex

Following Adrian's suggestion I've checked Call Out, but Wyatt-Smith's name is not in the index.

His logbook is at Hendon by the way, but when I went through it I was concentrating on his time on Gladiators and Whirlwinds and didn't look too much into his subsequent Malta career.

Niall

Thanks

Default Wyatt-Smith

Hi guys

I can't really add to what I wrote in 'Hurricanes over Malta' - I have no record of him flying at Malta and am certain that he wasn't shot down/rescued etc. Do bear in mind that he had been wounded by shrapnel during the Norwegian affair, but I don't know if this added to his problems while at Malta. Possibly, in my opinion.

Thanks for the plug, anyway!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

The info I have been given is very sketchy. It is possible that Peter was shot down in the Med while with 73 Squadron. He was posted to them in October 1941.

I was contacted by the daughter of Peters' wife. When Peter died his wife remarried. He was the skipper of the boat that pulled Peter from the water. Their daughter, Judith got in touch with me when she saw one of my posts about 263 Sqn Gladiator ops over Norway.

Her mother never really talked much about Peter and she has always wanted to know more about him.

Alex

Thanks

Alex,

Not sure if you have seen Don Minterne's history of No.73 squadron. Whatever, here is what he had to say on Wyatt-Smith:

OCTOBER 1941

2(nd).

Patrols were flown with no incidents. Three new pilots arrived:- Flt Lt Young, and Fg Off Bellamy and Wyatt-Smith.

18(th) - 24(th).

In spite of the new offensive, there was no operational activity either from Kilo 8 or Gamil. On the 22nd at Kilo 8 Fg Off Wyatt-Smith was taxying out for a scramble when his machine hit another Hurricane, causing Cat 1 damage to both.

Appendix 2; 73 Squadron Pilots in the Middle East 11/40 to 9/43.

WYATT-SMITH Fg Off joined 2-10-41.

See:
    The History of 73 Squadron. Part 2: November 1940 to September 1943.
    Minterne,Don.
    Dorchester:Tutor Publications,1997.
    pp.132,137 & 254.

That seems to be the full extent of Wyatt-Smith's mentions.

Col.

Thanks

Alex,

Not sure if you sighted Don Minterne's history of No.73 squadron. Whatever, here is what he had to say on Wyatt-Smith:

OCTOBER 1941

2(nd).

Patrols were flown with no incidents. Three new pilots arrived:- Flt Lt Young, and Fg Off Bellamy and Wyatt-Smith.

18(th) - 24(th).

In spite of the new offensive, there was no operational activity either from Kilo 8 or Gamil. On the 22nd at Kilo 8 Fg Off Wyatt-Smith was taxying out for a scramble when his machine hit another Hurricane, causing Cat 1 damage to both.

Appendix 2; 73 Squadron Pilots in the Middle East 11/40 to 9/43.

WYATT-SMITH Fg Off joined 2-10-41.

See:
    The History of 73 Squadron. Part 2: November 1940 to September 1943.
    Minterne,Don.
    Dorchester:Tutor Publications,1997.
    pp.132,137 & 254.

That seems to be the full extent of Wyatt-Smith's mentions.

Col.

Thanks

To kind of confirm Flg Off Peter Wyatt-Smith (41768) was killed in Mustang KH555 of 20 MU Stalled on take-off Aston Down, 5.1.45.

Can anyone here please supply death registration district?
    Thanks

Paul