Thread: Finding photographs

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Finding photographs

Hello all,

While researching the list of names of those who died while serving at RAF Hunsdon Iíve found photos of about a third of them, some through families, some through books and most through the wonders of the internet. Putting faces to names adds a new dimension to researching.It would be great to find photos of the other two thirds.

Iím guessing that all air force personnel had official photographs taken at some time, Iíd like to know if these photos have been preserved somewhere, maybe as part of service records or kept separately? If so, is access to these photos possible?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks

Any photographs that were taken and included in an individual's service record and / or casualty file are currently closed to the public.

One source of photographs can be Operations Record Books at Kew, I have seen course photos in quite a few FTS (No.5 (P)AFU is one) and OTU (No.60 & No.27 OTU are two I can think of) record books and also occasional squadron photographs.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Photos

Hi Jim,

Another channel might be right here. If you gave a list of those airmen with names,ranks & service no`s then it is very likely that someone on here may have done some research on perhaps an aircraft accident,ship loss or cemetery register and may just have pics you are looking for. Another source is of course obituaries in local press, papers of which are held in libraries. Also like Alan says there were training course photos taken and some of these have found their way to museum folders where training took place, I know there are many photos in folders ar RAF Millom museum,Cumbria where airmen trained with No2 AOS.

Hope this helps a little.
    Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies Al and Dave.

I'm looking for about 80+ photos so it's quite a tall order!

As the locations of the airmens hometowns are so spread out (from Aberdeen to Cornwall in the UK, and of course the ones overseas) it would be difficult to access the local newspapers for obituaries, unless they're kept on a database somewhere?