Thread: Sgt S W Shirley, POW No. 308, Stalag 357.

Thanks

Default Sgt S W Shirley, POW No. 308, Stalag 357.

Guys,

I am looking to find where Sgt. S W Shirley, POW No. 308 at Fallingbostal came from. He was in hut C2 5 at that time with my Father. Ross lists him as of 42 Squadron, L4488, lost on 4th October 1940.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickFenton; 21st April 2010 at 07:51.

Thanks

Hi Nick,

The Other Few: Bomber and Coastal Command Operations in the Battle of Britain by Larry Donnelly has his name as Sgt F W Shirley.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Guys,

I never got any further with this chap.

Any ideas? one of those dead ends.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Dear Nick
    He is not in O C-B's Footsteps on the Sands of Time, so he is not a Bomber Command.
    Sorry not to have been more help.
    James

Thanks

James,

From what l know, it was a Bristol Beaufort L4488 of 42 Squadron, lost on 4th October 1940 at Noordzee, off Ijmuiden, Netherlands. Was this a Coastal Command Squadron at this time?

S W Shirley's Service No. 516023, POW No. 308.

This information coutesy of Aviation Safety website and Ross's POW listings. No Liberation Questionaire found. In these times of Health and Safety madness, l do find it funny that Bomber Command losses are listed on the Aviation Safety website. Just imagine the risk assessment associated with a Blenheim crew in 1940/41. They would have caused more damage dropping that than the bomb load they carried! Or it would have just been stamped 'Operation refused'.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

I've had issues with ASN in the past.

A despicable scroat had copied wholesale my entries from RAF Coastal Command Losses and had posted them on that website without permission or acknowledgement.

After some email ping pong with the web master he agreed to remove my copyrighted information, however wholesale text from other Midland and AB publications remains on the pages, for the most part without acknowledgement of copyright.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Sgt S W Shirley

Hi Nick
    New to this site! Sgt Shirley was my father!!! He lived in Thornton Heath then Croydon after WWII He joined RAF as boy entrant then after Observer course an Observer 42 Squadron Coastal Command with Vildebeest then Navigator 42SQ Beauforts at Bircham Newton.Seconded from Wick in Sept 1940 to Thorney Island his aircraft shot down by Bf 109 when attacking ships off Netherlands (having previously survived a ditching off Wick after engine failure returning from raid on Norway!)Torpedo squadrons has loss rate of 80% until fighter protection came later.Rescued by German ship and rest of war in POW camps-last in Stalag Luft III. Home in 1945 became teacher and died in 1989.He rarely talked of his time in RAF or POW camps.

Hope this is not too late?

Mike Shirley

Thanks

Mike,

Dropped you a Private Message.

Nick