Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USSR Medal for Valour to Australian Pilot 1944

Thanks

Default Moose's Milk

Basically, a large block of vanilla ice-cream. To this are added (as available) gin, vodka, white rum, - in fact any white spirit, wine, or cordial. Then add WD-40, glycol, hydraulic fluid, battery acid, to taste. Finish off with just the very tiniest pinch of fresh herbs (you don't them to overpower the delicate taste of the Milk, do you?).
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS No smoking within 100 metres radius
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

From an Australian point of view, chaps like Jack Davenport of 455 Sqn who went over with the Hampdens and AJ 'Nat' Gould who went over with the Hurris (sqn escapes me at present) would have made more sense but...

Just an idle thought.

Thanks

Hello,

The only other member of the RAAF to receive a Soviet award was, AUS405595 F/Lt John Hugh DIXON RAAF DFC, Medal for Distinguished Battle Service (His Soviet medal awarded at the same time as Smith's decoration).

As Dixon's DFC Citation attests, he was the "genuine article".

"Flight Lieutenant DIXON has been employed as pilot in a Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron since early in 1943. He has proved himself an efficient pilot.

During his sorties he has flown on reconnaissance to the majority of industrial centres in Western Germany, including Berlin.

Early in 1944 this officer volunteered to fly in Northern Russia with a Photographic Reconnaissance Detachment which was charged with obtaining information necessary for an attack by the Navy on the German Battleship "Tirpitz". During this period he completed several successful sorties despite Arctic weather, enemy opposition and engine failure due to intense cold.

Immediately before the attack he obtained valuable pictures from a low level in the face of intense anti-aircraft fire and in very bad weather. His work has always been of an outstanding nature."

Col.

Thanks

As well as the 1944 542 Sqn detachment to Vaenga (Operation Tungsten), Dixon was also a member of the 543 Sqn Vaenga detachment (Operation Source) in 1943.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Roy Conyers Nesbit gives an account of these detachments in his; Eyes of the RAF:A History of Photo-Reconnaissance. pp.156,160 & 182.

Col.

Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks for all the additional details and amusement.

As for Moose Milk et al, I think I'll stick to Molson and Labatt's when I go to Canada! Lived there a year between 1988 and 1989 and loved it. Wonderful country, wonderful people, bl**dy cold! :-)

I'd agree that Smith's decoration doesn't make a lot of sense, and there may well have been more deserving recipients. Looks like this was indeed the luck of the draw! Still, an interesing stat that Smith was one of only two RAAF pilots to be awarded a Russian medal. I wonder where it is now...? Maybe the AWM has an idea. Might be worth me checking...

Incidentally, things may have been very different for 41 Squadron as they were actually destined for Russia with Ramsbottom-Isherwood's Wing in July 1942, but the slaughter of Convoy PQ17 caused the Air Ministry's plans to be cancelled - much to Stalin's disgust (some amazing correspondence to this end in the NA) - as the RAF could ill afford the loss of several squadrons of pilots and aircraft, if their Convoy suffered the same fate as the last. Still, had the operation gone ahead, there may well have been several deserving Russian medals awarded to the pilots. One of those wonderful 'what if...?' scenarios!

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default Re: USSR Medal for Valour to Australian Pilot 1944

I am interested in the Soviet reasons for approving the MV but still seeking a convincing answer. A 21 March 1944 Decree approves 7 RAF fliers for the medal. No recommendation is provided. I have the commendation published in the London Gazette but there is no obvious Soviet connection. I have asked the Russian Embassy, Moscow to clarify. We really need to find the Recommendations that supported the Commendations. My father-in-law Douglas Barber was also one of the 7 award recipients for unclear reason. He never talked about it. Several other recipients have clear links to Yugoslavian Soviet partisans (Operation Fungus) or Murmansk convoy protection. A 617 Dambusters squadron member may have been involved in submarine pen bombing efforts that might be Convoy related. He was the only member of 617 to receive an MOV.

Thanks

Are you certain that Hamilton was not involved in the Convoy "slaughter"? What amazing correspondence are your referring too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marks View Post
    Hi Steve,

I remember recently coming across a picture of an WW2 Australian infantryman who had been awarded a Soviet award for his service in the Syrian campaign of 1941. I presumed the award was due to Allied co-operation during the invasion of Iran and the war against the fascists !

Mark
    Hello,

Your man in Syria:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C80864

https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/vet...664913&c=WW2#R

And Connor's action on 8 June, 1941 - Not a Red in sight!

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1417144 - Download and see: pp.9-10 of 15 PDF.

And a wonderful tribute to George Connor, and his wife, Sybil, here:

https://connorhistorycom.files.wordp...ANE-CONNOR.pdf

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th October 2021 at 00:07.

Thanks

Connor is listed in the 21 March 1944 Soviet Decree as the no. 2 Army recipient for the Order of the Patriotic War Class I. There are 4 recipients listed. One other (no. 3) is N. McIntyre (spelling? my transcription from Russian)