Thread: New Edition of Men of the Battle of Britain

Thanks

Default New Edition of Men of the Battle of Britain

All,
    It seems that the new edition of Men of the Battle of Britain will be released later this year. Below is the official press release.
    Gerry

MEN OF THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN TO APPEAR AGAIN

A much enlarged and updated third edition of Men of the Battle of Britain by Kenneth G Wynn is to be published to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
    Rights to the book have been acquired by the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust (BBMT), following a significant anonymous donation to Trust funds and the new edition will be published by Halsgrove, in association with the Trust. The BBMT maintains the National Memorial to “The Few” at Capel-le-Ferne, Kent.
    Men of the Battle of Britain has acquired iconic status amongst historians, authors and researchers interested in the events of 1940. The book provides at least some biographical information on every one of the almost 3000 Allied airmen who flew in the battle and photographs of many of them. It was first published in 1989, with a later supplementary volume and a second edition in 1999.
    Richard Hunting, Chairman of the BBMT declared, “Ken Wynn has gathered much new material and the Trust felt that it was vital that this information was made widely available. I am delighted that we were able to reach an agreement with Ken and with CCB Associates, which published the last edition, to acquire the right to publish at a time when we have particular reason to remember the heroism of the men whose lives Ken has recorded.
    “We are honoured, too, to have the support in this venture of the Battle of Britain Fighter Association, the body of which only The Few may be full members.”
    Further details including date of publication and price will be announced as soon as possible.

Thanks

I wonder if anyone has Ken Wynn's contact details.. The reason ? I know I have and I no doubt some of you (for instance I know DaveW checked out some info loss info) have got updates to this book.

Pauk

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    I have Wynn's details if you Pm me.
    However, I suspect that it may already be too late.
    I can tell you that there are a lot of changes to the new edition already and perhaps some of what you have may have already been addressed.
    best wishes
    Gerry

Thanks

For instance

"James H. McArthur"

Independent (Newspaper) - May 13, 1961, Long Beach, California

Air Crash Kills 2 SEARCHLIGHT, Nev. Las Vegas, Nevada

2 men were killed Friday (12 May) in the crash of a light plane at the Searchlight Airport. James H. McArthur, 48, and Raymond J. Horton, 34, had taken off from the field moments before"

It appears that the airplane crash destroyed many of the markers in the local cemetery.
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 23rd April 2010 at 10:56.

Thanks

Does the book cover only aircrew who served with Fighter Command squadrons or are aircrew also covered from Coastal Command Fighter squadrons.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Andy,
    Only those Squadrons that were temporarily attached to Fighter Command such as 235 and 236 Squadrons.
    Gerry

Thanks

I wonder what the cost will be. The second edition cost me something like £50+. I am sure that many people will be delighted to acquire a copy as the last edition wasn't the easiest to find, but I would also like to be offered an errata supplement for those of us who already own a copy.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

That is interesting news, as I have been after a copy for some time. Thanks for the 'heads up'. I will await the publication date and reserve me a copy.

YOS

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gedburke3 View Post
    Andy,
    Only those Squadrons that were temporarily attached to Fighter Command such as 235 and 236 Squadrons.
    Gerry
    Excellent, thanks Gerry.
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hi Gerry.

Thank you for posting this information, I received the press release this morning from Geoff Simpson, who asked me to put it on sites that I post on. Unfortunately, I have been out for most of the day attending the funeral of Rifleman Daniel Holkham, The Rifles, who was buried with full military honours at Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey. He was killed recently by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan, he was only 19. A very sad occasion.

Robin. Memorial Trustee.