Thread: Personal Weapons-RAF

Thanks

Default Personal Weapons-RAF

Could anyone advise if members of the RAF 1939-1945 and post-war were permitted to carry personal weapons such as rifles and pistols from their place of duty to their civilian or military residences?

I am trying to determine when permission to "carry weapons home" was rescinded in the RCAF and Canadian Army, probably in the early 1960's and have an unverifiable reference to a similar situation in the U.K. at that time.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MacLean View Post
    Could anyone advise if members of the RAF 1939-1945 and post-war were permitted to carry personal weapons such as rifles and pistols from their place of duty to their civilian or military residences?

I am trying to determine when permission to "carry weapons home" was rescinded in the RCAF and Canadian Army, probably in the early 1960's and have an unverifiable reference to a similar situation in the U.K. at that time.

Cheers, Ken
    Certainly abroad it was the case, in Cyprus in 1955/6 we lived in a hiring in Limassol and my father had a Revolver and later a Sten with 2 magazines

Thanks

Personnel could be armed in Northern Ireland in a similar fashion to that described above. I believe however, that the arming of personnel, in a domestic situation, was threat specific.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.