Thread: Sgt Charles Conner DFM

Thanks

Default Sgt Charles Conner DFM

I show a Cpl and then Sgt Conner, 755702, on B Flight of 30 Sqn 1938-1941.

He later took a commision (126906).

I would like to know when and why he received the DFM if anyone can help.

Thanks.

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

Air Ministry 7th April, 1942 - Royal Air Force.

The King has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:-

DISTINGUISHED FLYING MEDAL.

755702 Sergeant Charles CONNER, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No.55 Squadron.

LG 35514 p.1556-7. (No citation)

Conner is not mentioned at all here, his pilot, Allison, is:

However the enemy began to retaliate, dropping a few bombs on the eastern end of Eleusis airfield at 03.30 on 15th April (1941) and parachute mines in nearby Scaramanga Bay. A further raid fifteen minutes later caused some superficial damage, but at 08.45 matters became serious. As soon as reports of about 25 Ju88s approaching the Athens area were received, four Blenheim fighters of 30 squadron and six Hurricanes took off to intercept. In the combat which followed, six Ju88s were downed, four by Hurricanes and two by 30 Squadron crews, one of them most likely by Plt Off (T.M.C.) Allison, the youngest pilot on the squadron.

See:
    Flat Out:The Story of 30 Squadron Royal Air Force.
    Hamlin,John F.
    Tunbridge Wells:Air Britain(Historians),2002.
    p.140.

And a mention here:

15 April 1941.

Further south at 0845, 25 Ju88s from I./LG1 and I./KG51 had appeared over Athens where they were intercepted by six Hurricanes of 80 Squadron and four Blenheim IFs of 30 Squadron ...

Some time later, at 0930, one of the Blenheims, piloted by Plt Off T H C Alison [sic], came across ten Ju88s at 12000 feet over the capital, but these dived to attack shipping in the harbour. The Blenheim caught up with one of the raiders and Alison made a starboard quarter attack, but broke away as the bomber was diving too steeply. Sgt Connors* [sic], the air gunner, sighted another Junkers and they closed to 75 yards, the crew believed that this aircraft was shot down after Connors had fired 1250 rounds at it.

* Sgt C Connors in the index.

See:
    Air War for Yugoslavia,Greece and Crete 1940-41.
    Shores,C.,Cull,B. & N Malizia.
    London:Grub Street,1987.
    pp.255-6

Could this be your Sgt Conner?

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 25th April 2010 at 06:00.

Thanks

755702 Sgt Charles Conner - 55 Sqn LG 7/4/42 WOp/AG Air 2/4782

Joint citation along with 740627 Sgt Frank Brierley.

"Sergeants Brierley and Conner fly together as pilot and Wireless Operator/Air Gunner respectively in the same crew. The former has carried out 58 and the latter 79 operational sorties. As a crew they have set a splendid example of efficiency, courage and determination. Sergeant Brierley's ability and experience have resulted in his being selected to head the squadron on several raids. On three occasions, he has displayed leadership of a high order and has won the complete confidence of the remaindr of the squadron."

Taken from the DFM Register for the Second World War by Ian Tavender.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks Col, that is the man.

Jonny, the citation states Conner had flown on 79 operational sorties, most of these would have been whilst on 30 Sqn so although he was on 55 Sqn when he received the award could I say that the award was for his 30 Sqn exploits?

Simon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afcbsimon View Post
    Thanks Col, that is the man.

Jonny, the citation states Conner had flown on 79 operational sorties, most of these would have been whilst on 30 Sqn so although he was on 55 Sqn when he received the award could I say that the award was for his 30 Sqn exploits?

Simon
    Simon,

It reads like it is a routine end of tour citation to me, which means it was invariably written by the boss of 55 Sqn. I don't know the history of this man, but it could easily have been a combined, i.e. 55 and 30 Sqn, award.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

The award was in the Gazette on 7th April 1942 which would have been just under a year after he left 30 Sqn in May 41'.

Is it feasible that he flew all 79 operational sorties mentioned with 55 Sqn in less than a year?

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

I would suggest that the figure given was the total ops flown by the individual up until that point where he was recommended for the award by his Sqn CO. The date of recommendation and the date of the promulgation of award could well be seperated by a number of months. Unortunately, the date of the rec can probably only be ascertained by viewing the original document in Kew.

Jonny