Thread: Pilot Shot Down By A He 162

Thanks

Default Pilot Shot Down By A He 162

Hi,

I've not been on this site for months as a result of work I've been doing on an earlier conflict, so if this question has been asked already, I apologise.

I'm putting together a story of the Luftwaffe's jets and the legacy beyond 1945. Whilst doing this I have come across the following information... "On 19th April 1945, the pilot of an RAF fighter, captured by the Germans informed his interrogators that he had been shot down by an aircraft whose description was clearly that of a He 162. The Heinkel was subsequently shot down by a Hawker Tempest while returning to base".

Can anyone put names to either of the RAF pilots?

All help as ever is gratefully received.

Steve

Thanks

Steve

'2nd TAF' vol 3 at page 497 gives an account of 222S F/L G Walkington's (Tempest V, SN185) attack on He162 which he shot down near Husum airfield (near Kiel) at 12.20. The pilot, Gunther Kirchener, abandoned but his parachute failed to deploy. (cited from 'JG 1 Oseau 1944-1945')

There is nothing in the losses table before the above time that might fit except the loss of 33S RA Macphie's Tempest V SN 190 which was hit by flak 11.30, f/l near Freetz and he was made PoW. Am unable to find Freetz, except as the name of a restaurant in the Munich area.
    Another loss was 182S Typhoon IB, SW412, LK Jackson shot down by fighter 12m W of Saltau and killed.

HTH

egards

DaveW

Thanks

Wrzesnica, in Poland, used to be known as Freetz

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Freetz at Heidenau, SW of Hamburg and another on the Baltic (perhaps the one referred to by Amrit?)

DaveW

Thanks

Default He162 victim

Hi guys

Possibly Macphie had been shot down by the He162 and not by AA as reported? Just a thought.

Wasn't there a NZ pilot who also shot down a He162? I can't recall his name off hand.

Cheers
    Brian